Which is the best search engine?

T

Tiffany

I know that Google is the most popular. Is there a better one? I usually can't

find what I want on Google.

Thanks

I have never really had problems finding anything on Google, the problem really is knowing the right syntax to search with.

What are some examples of things you can't seem to find?

That being said, you can try Yahoo.com and MSN.com, those are also relatively good search engines.

What do you mean by syntax?

A board I mod on has twice as many links from alta vista as it does from Google.

Thanks for answering.

Syntax means how you type what your trying to find.

http://ioc.unesco.org/oceanteacher/...ek/01_Searching information/SearchSyntax.html

Search Engine Syntax

In general, if several words are entered in a search, a search engine will treat each word as an individual keyword. If you are searching for a phrase or the words need to be in a particular order, then you should put them in quotes so that they will be treated as a phrase. An example would be "information science". Even though information science is not technically a phrase, it is important that the order and closeness of the words are preserved. If quotation marks were not used around information science, then documents that contained information or science or information science would be retrieved. Search Syntax

There are several operators that are used universally used across almost all search engines. These operators can be used to refine your search query. The main operators will be discussed below.
AND
The operator AND matches all query terms with pages that contain all of the query terms. Examples of search queries using the AND operator are:
  • internet AND filters: documents containing both internet and filters will be returned.
  • internet AND censorship AND filters: documents containing all three words will be returned.
OR
The operator OR matches any query term with pages that contain any of the query terms. Examples of search queries using the OR operator are:
  • circulation OR reference: documents containing the word circulation or reference will be returned.
  • bookstores OR sellers: documents containing bookstores or sellers will be returned.
+
The operator + indicates that the query term must appear within the text of the documents that are listed in the result list. This operator is similar to the AND operator. Examples of search queries using the + operator are:
  • +information +behaviour: documents containing both the word information and behaviour will be returned.
  • +library +associations: documents containing both the word library and association will be returned.
-
The operator - indicates that the query term should not appear within the text of the documents that are listed in the result list. Examples of search queries using the - operator are:
  • libraries -public: documents containing the term libraries but not containing the word public will be returned.
  • libraries -associations: document containing the term libraries but not containing the word associations will be returned.
Wildcards
You can search for plurals or variations of words using a wildcard character. For most search engines, the character * is used to indicate a wildcard character(s) although some use the $ sign. Examples of search queries using wildcard characters:
  • librar*: documents containing the term library, libraries, librarian, etc. will be returned. In fact, any word that begins with librar will be returned.
  • filter*: document containing the term filter, filters, filtering, etc. will be returned.
Combinations
Operators may also be combined in a search query. Examples of search queries using a combination of operators:
  • libraries OR "information science": documents containing the term libraries or the phrase information science will be returned. Note: This does not mean that both terms have to necessarily appear in the retrieved documents.
  • internet AND (censorship OR filters): documents containing the term internet and the term censorship or filters will be returned.
  • (libraries and school) -Rutgers: documents containing the term libraries and schools and not the term Rutgers will be returned.

I'm quite surprised at what results google can come up with coz sometimes it brings up stuff that have been posted in other forums. :p
However, I have found that Yahoo gave more of the results that I've been looking for when I was researching for information for my assignments at uni.

I use Google and Alltheweb ..

I posted this sometime ago but too lazy to look for it. but this is a great guide enjoy:)

Cheat cheat 1.05

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back