Which firewall?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by maffew, Feb 20, 2005.

1. maffew

maffew OSNN Junior Addict

Hey guys, (and girls)
    I was thinking about installing a new firewall, and i narrowed it downto 2: Sygate Pro or Norton personal firewall 2005. Oh and, I haveNorton Av 2005 installed. Would there be problems between it and Sygate?

I have tried Zonealarm in the past but I've had problems with it.
    Thanks for your help

2. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Not again .. Man this type of topic gets beats to death lol .. Do asearch, you will find hundreds of posts on this topic. You will alsofind hundreds of posts on what antivirus to use as well ...

3. LoctOut

LoctOut OSNN Addict

Do what I do.... always use the best firewall you can find that no one else uses.
    Hackers will quickly target Norton, Zone Alarm, McAffee and all the very popular ones and can disable them fairly easily. They won't waste a lot of time trying to hack a firewall used by only 5% of the peeps. Once you've done that, change firewalls periodicly...

Same applies with anti-virus. There's a lot of bugs out there now that can get around norton so fast it's like you have no anti-virus

maffew likes this.
  4. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

Get a router with a built in firewall.

5. egghead

egghead Double O Egghead

I narrow it down to the cheapest.

6. Johnny

Johnny .. Commodore .. Political User

Wellll Here we go again .. lol .

When you have a hardware firewall you will still need a software firewall to control the outbound traffic. A hardware firewall will only control in bound traffic. If you are going to get a software firewall and use it on top of a hardware firewall, the best thing to do is find out what your needs are. Most cases you only need a basic one. There are a lot of free ones out there that work really well, older versions of zone alarm for example, or Kerio. Now if you don't use programs like maxthon or firefox to browse then one with add control and pop up control might be a good idea. Theses ones can cost money ..

Just because you have a hardware firewall dosen't make you invincible, that is like sayign just because you have a 4x4 you can go threw a blizzard .. It dosen't work like that ..

7. maffew

maffew OSNN Junior Addict

Thanks for the responses.
    I think ill take LoctOut's advice and get a not very well known firewall.

What do you guys think about Jetico?

8. Lukas

Lukas Real Name No Gimmicks

I f you have some old pc parts lying around (like an old PII 233 Mhz) and two NIC's I recommend Smoothwall for a hardware firewall. It's a free download, and very good.

Been trying to break into my system from work for a while now, and nothing :)

anyways, check it out: http://www.smoothwall.org/

Greetz

Lukas

maffew likes this.