Where Are The Port Settings For Messenger?

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Black_Pride, Apr 30, 2002.

1. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

Ok I am fed up with messenger already!!!

I have done all the research and looked for solutions for my problem.....

I CAN SEND whatever I file I want to others via messenger and also do remote assistance, but I CANNOT RECEIVE ANY FILES OR REMOTE ASSISTANCE.

I have disabled the firewall so I dont think thats it.
    I dont know where the port settings are that I need to change to resolve this. Also are there any policy or registry settings I may have screwed up??

I am the administrator on my personal PC.

It is driving me crazy.

HELP.....please?

2. redsolar

redsolar Guest

Any routers present?

3. Black_Pride

Black_Pride OSNN Addict

No there is no router. It is just my computer connected to the internet via a USB ADSL modem.

4. redsolar

redsolar Guest

Check the firewall again just in case.

To disable XP firewall, go to network connection properties (Control panel->Network Connections->Right click on the connection, select properties; or simply right click on My Network Places, and select properties), advanced, and uncheck protect my computer box.

Also, make sure your adsl modem is not playing tricks with you as to blocking the ports, there are some that do it.

One more suggestion - get a good software firewall, that has logging enabled, and check the logs, after you trying to do something. I personally would recommend a 30-day trial Zone Alarm Pro, it has all the features you miught need to trouble shoot this. If the logs show nothing, then you have some problem with your connection, it might be your ISP, modem or even something else, which I can't really think about off the top of my head.

But try those solutions, maybe some will lead you to the right way
    http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/app_port_list.htm
    this page has all ports most common apps use.

http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers this one has almost all ports there exist at all. Check them out.