Whats a good AMD mobo right now?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by leedogg, Sep 24, 2003.

1. leedogg

leedogg Gojyone kawaiiiiiiii!

I thought the Asus A7N8X boards were supposed to be the current kings, but I've been seeing some bad things about them.. what do you guys think? Is that board still the best bet?

I'm looking at getting a 2500 barton and I dont plan on o/c'ing

2. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

i personally would recommend abit, asus or gigabyte, epox
    other than that... hmm...................
    get some review from all... but i think mostly ppl will recommend asus a7n8x or abit nf7s (which i personally will vote too)

3. Yharn

Yharn meh.

i'd have to say abit NF7-S or the Epox 8RDA+ or 8RDA3+

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

are you going to use onboard sound? if so, definitely get the A7N8X Deluxe 2.0 or NF7-S 2.0, which include soundstorm audio.

if not, what features are you looking for? if not many, i know epox makes a great, relatively cheap board.

either way, try to get a 2.0 board (ultra 400 northbridge) for better memory compatibility and overclocking (if you ever decide to ;))

5. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'd rather go for the Gigabyte GA-7NNXP, since it's got the nForce2 chipset with 6 channel sound, Dual-channel DDR RAM, RAID, SATA, Dual LAN (1x 10/100, 1x 1000) and firewire

6. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

Go for the Asus, I did, and haven't regreted it once. The Soundstorm is great... and worth it, if you don't plan on overclocking, alot of the problems with the A7N8X won't relate to you. You also have to remember that sure there are alot of problems, but it's also the best selling AMD motherboard of all time.... so the more people using it, the more complaints....

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Isn't that a contradiction for using the ASUS mobos? lol :p

8. Daniel Rossi

Daniel Rossi Guest

no offense to ne1 but ive found asus suk

Hi everyone,

In my personal experience if you want a board that does what it has to do well the best for amd would have to be gigabyte.

When i upgraded my pc 8 months ago everyone was goin on how asus is good bla bla bla, went onto tonnes of forums posting about some asus mobos and no1 could fault them, reviews were excellent etc, talked to friends reconed they have one and say how good they are bla bla bla.

I get the mobo and got nuthin but trouble had it swapped 5 times and for a different asus mobo still trouble got gigabyte worked fine ever since.

You might get the odd asus board that does what it has to do but personally id stay away from them :)

9. Temperal

Temperal Guest

Here is a link that has been posted before with a ranking of AMD motherboards and related features...
    Motherboard Ranks (AMD)

Temperal

10. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

actually sometimes it just depends on our luck...
    if we get the defected 1, then we will say bad things bout that manufacturers, if we got a great 1, then "it is a great board"
    but anyhow, asus a7n8x, epox 8rda series, and abit nf7s really a good board. no doubt bout that....

11. renakuajo

renakuajo Guest

i like right now a mobo from MSI that has the nvidia chipset....cant remember the model but is a really nice one

12. Pasty901

Pasty901 Guest

13. Bretenn

Bretenn Guest

hmm... looks cool and bundle with lot of thingy
    how much in u.s.?

btw welcome to ntfs.org

14. ntentz

ntentz FingerBanger

I have the chaintek and love it, the bundle has all kinds of stuff with it , i was gonna buy something else but cant find anything better really.

15. Anything with the NForce2 chipset is what you want :)

16. canadian_divx

canadian_divx Canadian_divx

SK8N nforce 3 mobo and optron

17. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I've personally bought 3 gigabyte boards for different machines, and they've all worked perfectly well - that's why I prefer using them over other manufacturers.
    Besides that, Gigabyte boards are rich in features.

18. leedogg

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I've been eyeing the gigabyte boards, but i'm a little confused as to what the differences are between

This one:
    Gigabyte GA-7N400-L, nForce2 Ultra400 chipset for Socket A ATX motherboard

and this:
    Gigabyte GA-7NNXP, NVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400 chipset for Socket A ATX

/edit oh and this one...???
    GA-7N400PRO2

other than the nearly $100 price difference....

I have a soundblaster Live board right now. The new onboard sound chips will probably sound better?

Temperal, that mobo ranking seems a little out of date?

by the way, I currently have a Gigabyte 7VRXP

19. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

The best out of the AMD Gigabte 400Mhz range would be the 7NNXP board. Has everything the others have between them as far as I know.

I wouldn't advice you to get a new mobo in the K7 series when you've got the 7VRXP because I'm pretty sure that that is a very good mobo to use until you're ready for a MAJOR upgrade.
    I've got the 7VRX (CPU: 2100+) and there's no need for me to upgrade any part of my system for another 18-24 months.

20. leedogg

Thats what I thought ming. I recently tried to upgrade my processor to a 2400+ and for some reason my sound+internet capabilities stopped working with the new cpu...returned after sticking my 1800 back in...i tried every single bios version released for this board..didnt help...