What spec needed for online games server?

Discussion in 'PC Gaming' started by Mubbers, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

If I wanted to build a machine specifically as an online games server what kind of spec would I need - to run UT2003?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If it's a dedicated server it's all up to how many users you want playing on it simultaneously.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

it'll probably be around the spec needed to actually play the game, a dedicated server doesn't need to be immensly powerful, as its only running code and not the actual game itself (if that makes sence :) )

4. SickBoi

SickBoi Kicker of Elves

if its truely dedicated, and if you're going to do it through xp.. you should down all system services the game doesn't need.. get lots of ram.. a moderate cpu.. and you don't even need a video or sound card..

5. SPeedY_B

i'd recommend a Linux box over xp
    no sound
    no gfx
    plenty of mem
    best cpu you can get (but like SickBoi says, moderate, it doesnt have to be an o/c'd 3.2ghz chip :) )
    the UT2003 dedicated server i think is about a 500mb install so you dont need a 120gb HD either.

But again, it all depends on how many players you are wanting to 'host' at one time. I think you should try asking / e-mailing someone over at the official site...

6. Mubbers

Mubbers Shoot! Political User

Yes it would be a totally dedicated machine. I reckon I should be able to pick up a 1GHz machine 2nd hand relatively cheaply (or even build it up) and like you say stuff it with memory.

When this machine is acting as the server via ADSL would I be able to join in (with my main machine) via a LAN link?

Questions - always questions!

Mubbers

:D

7. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Yes, I believe you would be able to join in with your main machine.

If I was to build a dedicated server for hosting a game...

At least 1.6 GHZ Processor ( Go with AMD, and with Proper Cooling ) if you choose Intel, no lower then 2GHZ
    Memory wise, I would have what I have now, PC2700 DDR RAM, 1024MB.
    Graphics card, anykind, because you won't actually be playing the game on it.
    You don't even really need a sound card.
    HDD wise, I would go for about 80 GB with an 8MB buffer...

8. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you have a dedicated 100Mbit connection and a ton of users that spec could be ok, but for DSL or cable gaming a PIII 500 with 20 GB disk and 256 MB (maybe 512) RAM should suffice. I mean, it's just the server bit. It couldn't take that much.

9. Nick M

Nick M Moderator

Ehh....Zedric is right, it won't need that much.

It's just me that's power hungry and spec crazy :p

10. SPeedY_B

500mhz seems a nice speed, i'd recommend the 512mb over 256mb, just to make everything go that bit smoother :)
    theres always chance to upgrade anyway, so you could get a low spec server machine then simply add to it later if it doesnt suffice.