What port for windows vpn?

lieb39

Apple lover, PC User
What port does windows VPN use? I am setting up my windows xp machine just to accept VPN but i need to forward the port ranges from my router to my desktop pc... anyone?

thanks,

lieb39

A PPTP VPN connection passes through TCP port 1723
Is that the answer you were looking for? :)

As NetRyder said for PPTP VPN connections, you need to open TCP port 1723 for PPTP tunnel maintenance traffic and permit IP Type 47 Generic Routing Encapsulation (GRE) packets for PPTP tunnel data to pass to your VPN server's IP address.

For L2TP VPN connections, you need to open UDP port 500 for Internet Key Exchange (IKE) traffic and UDP port 1701 for L2TP traffic.

A related question.

Computer A wants to connect through VPN to computer B. This is all fine. But when computer A connects, all traffic is routed through computer B instead of using the normal Internet connection. How can this be avoided so that only traffic to B (and computers in B:s LAN) is routed through the VPN and all other traffic is routed through the normal Internet connection?

Zedric - surprised no one has answered you!

IMHO - cannot be done, VPN tunnels and that's the way it is - if you want something else consider another way (dunno if ftp would be an option?).

Usually VPN is used for outlying folks connecting to an organisation that is NOT short on bandwidth and does not really "care" about the extra load being sucked by the VPN users (at least this is true for me, and remember whilst my traffic goes through VPN my service provider limits the bandwidth I can suck out ... unfortunately ;) )

If anyone knows better would like to hear tho'

It can be done by ensuring the default route is not the VPN Tunnel.

Bt default all traffic will go through the VPN tunnel and of course you don't want that to happen if you require Internet access and VPN connectivity simultaneously.

If you have a internet connection on the private network at the other end of the tunnel you can use the internet through the tunnel.

I'll see if i can get some more info.

Originally posted by Enyo
It can be done by ensuring the default route is not the VPN Tunnel.

Bt default all traffic will go through the VPN tunnel and of course you don't want that to happen if you require Internet access and VPN connectivity simultaneously.

If you have a internet connection on the private network at the other end of the tunnel you can use the internet through the tunnel.

I'll see if i can get some more info.

I actually asked a similar question in another thread. Hope you find an answer :)

Interesting.... (assume no answer in other thread either)...

Again (imho) this is "bending" VPN to do what you want it to rather than using it as designed... But then again - it's one of the most readily available and it SHOULD have tailoring on this sort of level to make it truly a useable network tool - so I do hope this gets worked out. One possible reason, maybe, is the security angle?

It's not bending it at all, most the time your not going to want to send everything through the tunnel and its stupid to do so for large scale VPNs.

If the systems on the other side of the VPN are 10.1.1.x and nothing more then the VPN Client should add the route for 10.1.1.x only and not add the tunnel as the default route otherwise you will loose connectivity via any other connections you have say LAN or internet because its sending all the data one way and one way only.

I suggest you try using a decent VPN client such as the free version of SSH Sentinel and not using network connections to manage your VPN (the old version is free). This will manage the routing table currently, either that or do your table manually.

See:

http://www.homenethelp.com/vpn/router-routing.asp

NetRyder, why were you quoting me? I'm not the one having the problem :p

Thanks for the info Enyo - this may come in very handy as I use VPN and am introducing a little wi-fi LAN at home.... did not realise other VPN clients were around (then again, had not looked for them).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back