What happened to my other drives in redhat 8

S

sjrw

HELP (again)
After installing redhat 8 I seem to have lost my windows c, d, e, f, and l drives.
I know they are there, because when i boot to winxp i get them back.
I tried mandrake 9 and they miraculously reappeared, but i want to try and stick with redhat.
HOW DO I GET MY DRIVES BACK?
as i have stuff on them that is useful.

Do you mean that you can't see the drives from within RedHat?
You'll need to mount them before you can browse them...

give me a clue...
where do i find them so i can mount them.
in /mnt there are four things..
floppy, zip, cdrom0, cdrom1

i need english rather than linux-speak

Originally posted by sjrw
give me a clue...
where do i find them so i can mount them.
in /mnt there are four things..
floppy, zip, cdrom0, cdrom1

i need english rather than linux-speak

ROFL

if you know what the partition is called, then you can do:

# mount <drive> <directory>

If you want to lets say mount a HD with files on it called myshiz ( Note it will probably look like: /dev/ad0s1a ) and you want to mount it to /myshiz. You would do:

# cd /
# mkdir myshiz
# mount myshiz /myshiz

You have to create the dir, so it has a mount point, or it will break the news to you that its not a valid mount point. Enjoy.

wouldnt it be

# cd /mnt
# mkdir Win-C
# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win-C
or
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win-C
# cd /mnt/Win-C
# ls
<files here> :)
note : i prefer things in /mnt/...personal preference, the folder can be creader anywhere you wish

If you really want it in plain english just type "man mount" from the command line, this will bring up the man pages for the mount command.

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
wouldnt it be

# cd /mnt
# mkdir Win-C
# mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win-C
or
# mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/Win-C
# cd /mnt/Win-C
# ls
<files here> :)
note : i prefer things in /mnt/...personal preference, the folder can be creader anywhere you wish

If you really want it in plain english just type "man mount" from the command line, this will bring up the man pages for the mount command.

Oops, forgot that you hd to do the -t shiz. FreeBSD attempts to find out what it is itself, and then mount it, so its not much trouble.

yeah, RH aint no BSD ;)
I think i'll always remember it, as it's one of the first things a friend showed me how to do when he eventually persuaded me to to try linux

Originally posted by SPeedY_B
yeah, RH aint no BSD ;)
I think i'll always remember it, as it's one of the first things a friend showed me how to do when he eventually persuaded me to to try linux

Cool.

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back