What CPU should i choose AMD or INTEL?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Daniel Rossi, Sep 26, 2003.

1. Daniel Rossi

Daniel Rossi Guest

Hi Everyone,

With the amount of money i am willing to spend on a CPU for the same amount i can get either a AMD ATHLON XP 2800+ or a INTEL P4 2.4GHZ 800MHZ FSB and i cannot make up my mind to eiter, which one would be better, preffered and why? as i need help trying to decide as i cannot make up my mind myself lol ;)

2. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Well, it depends on what you're wanting to do. For gaming, the Athlon 2800+ XP is the best choice. If you can't stand to wait 3.7 seconds and must have your effect process in 3.1 seconds in Photoshop, go with the Pentium.

I like to oversimplify :)

3. Daniel Rossi

Daniel Rossi Guest

Thanks, i might take intel due to the fact it has hyperthreading, if only the amd had it hehe

4. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Wait for the K8 to come out... It's got the Hyper Transport technolgy, which is meant to be similar (in not better) than the HT in Intel.

5. eddieb

eddieb OSNN Addict

I bought the AMD 2800+ a couple of months ago and am very happy with it. For the price difference, I think it was well worth it.

6. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I may be biased - but...

I'd have to say AMD... I presume you haven't decided on your mobo yet? I guess you may get better value with Intel, because they can manage to knock out the higher volumes - but I believe when it comes to innovation AMD win, hands down.

Remember - the choice you make now will decide your mobo - then you are locked into that decision if you ever want to change the chip in your mobo...

Needless to say I run an AMD here ;)

7. Daniel Rossi

Daniel Rossi Guest

thanks for all your answers, soo does the amd athlon 2800+ run at the same speed as an intel 2.8 or is the 2800 rating crap so to say?

8. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

the 2800+ runs at around 1.9G or 2Ghz, i cant remember the spec.
    basically the 2800+ rating is the equivalent to an intel running at 2.8Ghz.

9. Daniel Rossi

Daniel Rossi Guest

okie dokie

10. Un4gIvEn1

Un4gIvEn1 Moderator

Unless you want to pay $700 for a chip, then don't wait for the Athlon 64, unless you REALLY have a need for 64 bit. If you are playing games then the higher speed AMD Athlon XPs will be more then enough. Each chip has it's own set of programs that it does better on than the next. I believe Intel kicks AMDs but in Quake but AMD kicks Intels but in Unreal Tournament (I much prefer UT). I run an AMD 1900 and It's got enough power to do everything. It's about time for an upgrade though. I will probably go with the Athlon 64FX-51 just to say I have it though :D I am not trying to say that Intel wouldn't be a good choice (especially the new Pentium 4 Extreme Edition chip) but I myself have been a fan of AMD since the K6-2 series (I know... they weren't THAT great, but that's when AMD could blow the pants off of Intel in price, and they were decent chips.) The Athlon chips reinforced my opinion on them, and then the XP chips just helped even more. I have seen benchmarks that suggest that just about anyone can manipulate a chip to look good. Some sites have benchmarks showing the P4EE kicks the A64, and vise verse. Make the decision on price and performance (value).

11. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

hypertransport is a different setup than hyperthreading...

12. P4 2.4 - very fast, very cool, often overclocked to 3ghz or more :)

13. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

I'd go for the 2800+. Benchmarks have shown, over and over again that HT on the P4 doesn't have that big of a difference in performance, surely not worth the premium that Intel wants for the tech.

14. Friend of Bill

Friend of Bill What, me worry?

You have come to what only appears to be a fork in the road... P4 all the way!:)

15. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Go for a P4 if you're going to do a lot of 3D creation, if anything else, go for an AMD.

I'm only saying this after looking at all the benchmarks from 3DMark.

16. sidwin

sidwin Guest

I've only ever used AMD chips, and they've always done well for me. Just make sure you keep it cool in your case; my CPU has the tendency to get a little hot under the collar, so to speak ;)

17. Brad

Brad Moderator Political User Folding Team

very happy with my amd :)

18. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

I'm happy with the temp being around 55C, but would be happier if it were lower.
    Besides, no damage is done unless it's over 75-80C anyway.

19. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

I only have 1 Intel chip and that's a PIII 600mhz Slot 1 card. I use that as my FTP sever. The other 3-4 computers are AMDs. I prefer AMD because it's like supporting the underdog. But AMDs have power, and are cheaper. My profile will tell you what I'm running as my gaming rig. I'll be beefing up to an AMD 3000 or 3200 sometime with 400FSB and same amount of 400mhz ram as well.

I have absolutely no complaints about these great chips.

20. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Teh UNDERDOGS!!!