Western Digital Hard drive problem

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by D_T_P, Oct 3, 2002.

1. D_T_P

D_T_P Guest

Hey guys i dunno if this is a xp prob or if its just my bios

i bought a new hard drive a 60 gig and it doesnt pick up in my bios as a 60 gig it only comes up as a 30 gig

its my 2nd hard drive so its my slave

i also tried to run it as a single and install windows xp on it but it only came up as a 30 gig for sum reason

thankz

2. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

Have you put a big hard drive in it before? Does your motherboard handle 60 gig?
    You could try flashing the bios.

3. chastity

chastity Moderator Political User

It's a BIOS problem. Your systems BIOS is too old to see above the 30 gig barrier. So there are a few things you can do. First as Hipster said flash your BIOS if you can. Second use the BIOS program that came with your harddrive. Third is buy a hard drive controller card. Fourth is buy a new motherboard and most likely a new cpu

4. KISS

Keep it simple, stupid.

DO NOT flash the bios. There is a REAL risk of taking a working system and driving it right into the ground - forever.

Use the WD hard drive installation diskette that came with the drive. It is usually called something like EZ Install or Data Lifeguard. It is probably also available from their website.

5. Jz1397-5

Jz1397-5 XP Bad Ass

use the lifeguard thingy that came with the drive, it works. Also if his mobo didn't see >30GB, couldn't he still use it and windows would see it?