Weird Problem

Electronic Punk

willalwaysbewithyou
Staff member
Political Access
Here is something that I am sure I have experienced and fixed before but I can't remember how!

Everytime I browse the start menu and right click on a folder and open I get a dialog appear called "Move Items" when I cancel that I get a dialog called "Copy Items" when I cancel that the folder opens as it should!

Now I have noticed that it does the same thing when I use the My Favorite shortcut icons on my desktop and it's driving me nuts.

Reformatting is not an option as I now have my system setup exactly as I want it to be and it would really annoy me if I had to start from scratch again!

Wierd, I've never seen this as I rarely right click shortcuts. Mine just opens the folder like you say it shoud do.

Could be some sort of tweak program doing it because my start menu acts normal. Double weird. :D

Not right clicking on a shortcut but the actual folder on the start menu.

I don't use Tweak programs either, just a few reg edits here and there.

Are you moving the icons in anyway when you click on them ??

Does this happen anywhere else in Windows?
Or is it only with the start menu/desktop favourites?

Could be a fault in yer mouse perhaps.
I recently had all kinds of trouble when installing software.
My logitech i-feel mouseman started double-clicking when it felt like it.
I thought the h/w was knackered, but since a driver update, it sems to have stopped.
Only updated them yesterday, so i'll have to wait and see.

Could this be the case with you?
sticky mouse interns, or driver issues?

Which folder(s) is this happening with? When did this start? Had you tweaked anything or installed anything rite before this problem started? And could you possibly post a screen shot of this prob. Mouse driver prob maybe?

And last... did you you try a system restore to a point before this prob begain?

I can’t understand your term “browsing from the START menu”. You should not be able to access any directory directly from the “start menu” only a script link which anyone can alter given the admin account. Likewise any item dropped onto the desktop is only a script link to the executable or file or directory (folder) which is itself a file holding may other files or links to them.

My guess would be a registry problem for what XP calls “Folder Options” available from within the control panel. As suggested by others there are many “tweak” programmes available that can result in this scenario but my guess is that there are some missing keys in the registry. If you don’t know the correct values to add (if they are missing) repair XP using the XP install disk (not the recovery consul) and all will be well or search the MS Knowledge base fro the correct key values to enter.

:) :) :) :) ;)

Somewhere in Windows Setup is an option for what to do when you right click on something. It should just pop up the standard rigth click menu plus the enhancements added by programs (winzip, ace, antivirus).

It sounds like a program/utility you added changed the commands to run on right clcik. I'll see if I can find that setting again, I know it's here somewhere.

EDIT
It looks like its a mouse setting. GO to control panel-mouse- Button and change what the right button does. Should be context menu/alternate command.

Copy is one of the options.

If worst comes to worse re-install the mouse. Beats a windows install.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back