Weird computer problem..

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by devynal, Apr 3, 2004.

1. devynal

devynal The Idiot Circus Boy

A client just dropped off one of their business PCs for me to inspect after if failed to boot a few days ago -- this comes the day after we had an unexpected, early spring storm.

He tells me his monitor smells funny [the pungent electrical smell], so I figure that's toast.

I'm playing with the PC today: the power supply seems fine [no smell] and is supplying power to the board [there is a green LED on the board where the supply plugs into signifying the presence of power]. The hard drive spins up, however, I receive no video signal and do not hear the hard drive reading/writing as one should do when booting to an OS. I also noticed when I plugged in an ethernet cable that the power AND transmittal LEDs were constantly on.

I'm thinking the motherboard is shot? It seems like it's not even POSTing or relaying a video signal at all. Thoughts?

2. Taggert_LOA

Taggert_LOA Modding Addict Political User

i think you may be right. disassemble the computer and remove the board. look for any burnt "tracers" along the board. i think you'll find one. in any event the board might need to be replaced. i would test all the separate componets, to see if they are the culprit as well. and have your client invest in a UPS that has at least a $20,000 connect Equipment warranty.

3. devynal

I tracked it down to the internal modem getting hit by lightning [flash burns on the circuit board]. It boots up albeit slowly. Thanks!

4. Sazar

Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

is it possible to disable the internal modem via the bios?

see if that helps any?

5. devynal

Oh it was just a standard PCI modem, not onboard. I believe they are just going to trash it and use insurance money to buy new. :)

6. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

as far as the ethernet goes, are you sure you are using a crossover cable, dont worry about the question if you have it connected directly to a switch or hub

7. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

dont mind me, i need to read the whole thread before i post