Web browser proxy server?

L

lsdwebs

I am trying to setup a web browser bounce on my IIS server at home or any other software that will allow what I am trying to do.

Here's the deal. I want to be able to hook up to my WinXP Pro. box at home from work so I can browse the Internet without hitting all the damn Websense firewall blocks I get at work. In other words, some sort of proxy server I can point to with my broswer setting at work right? Alot of the ports are blocks at work also, so it needs to probably be a port 80 (web) solution.

Anyone ever done this? I sure it can't be that hard.

As someone in the IS industry, I would just like to say that Websense is probably there for YOUR protection. Would you really like to jeprodize your job just for the pleasure of browsing the web? I know where I work we have VERY strict policies that govern internet access and something like that would definately get you fired.

Yes thanks for the tip... now does anyone else know how to do this that is not trying to be my boss?

Well, if you read your question you will find the answer. Set up a proxy server at home. (8080 is probably open and is what should be used) Set IE (or whatever web browser it is you use at work) to use the proxy server at your home IP address and the port you choose. Make sure to enable that port in any routers you might have at home (or on a software firewall) Good luck!

Un4gIvEn1: How exactly would I go about setting up the proxy server? 3rd party software or is it built into IIS? This is new to me. No firewalls involved here except software firewall which I can handle. Thanks.

Unless you are running a "server" flavor of Windows then I do not believe that it is built in. I do not know any off the top of my head, but there are plenty of 3rd party softwares avaiable for this.

Ok... I'll look around a bit. Let me know if you happen to come across one that will support this type of setup. Thanks.

I used WinGate a few years ago. It was good then...

I'll check out WinGate and a few others if I have a chance tonight. I tried this once before and could never get it to function correctly. I never quit until it works, and it never hurts to ask for a little help before you dive in! :happy:

I use a program called NetProxy, it's a trial...multiple users for 30 days or something like that, but after that you still have access for a single user...should be adequate for your needs, it was easy to set up and change ports...:happy:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back