Web Based SSH Client?

Discussion in 'Web Design & Coding' started by sean.ferguson, Sep 21, 2004.

1. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

I seen this on someone's site and i cant remember whos. It was a simple clean page that had only a login and password form, hosted from the server that you wish to login to.
    After hitting OK it logged you into the server as a ssh session through your browser... Has anyone got any idea where i could get some information on how to do this. I have tried google but i cant find anything directed at my requirements. :eek:

2. Nick

Nick OSNN Lurker

I'd be a little concerned about running a SSH session from a website. It wouldn't take much for the host to capture anything going through it, which defeats the Secure bit of SSH.

3. SPeedY_B

SPeedY_B I may actually be insane.

I'd imagine that was MindTerm (example) That's the only "web-based" ssh client I've come across, and seeing as it's Java, it basically runs locally anyway :)

4. sean.ferguson

That wasnt at all like the version i seen on the site i know that much... but this is much better looking and feels alot nicer to use. The only reason i need one is for remote admin of my server if i cannot have access to other applications. For example a college network, where i am for the next fortnight doesnt allow software installation or downloading of anysort. So using a web browser to access my server is the only option.

Thanks SPeedY_B :D

5. Nick

Nick OSNN Lurker

How about sticking a copy of PuTTY on a disk? No need to install it, although it's still no use if you can't run any unauthorised apps.

MindTerm looks pretty useful and comes from a reputable source, although it'd still be worth while to keep an eye on the connections it makes when using it. A little paranoia is healthy ;)

6. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

I have the same problem thekore.
    Need someway to do it. Thinking of *trying* to make one in php myself :D

7. sean.ferguson

i cant run any unauthorised apps Nick, i will look into Mindterm and test it out at home first

8. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Do give me the URL, it would be nice to have some extra server space :p.

9. ZeroHour

ZeroHour ho3 ho3 ho3

Thinking of making it run on localhost only (aka has to be on your server) that way less security probs :D

10. X-Istence

X-Istence * Political User

Uh huh, but to use it you would need to connect to it through http or https. And one coding mistake, and the server is open for abuse.