Weak Cable Signal

Vanquished

Mr. Bananagrabber
Political Access
Hey everyone,
Just moved into a new apartment and we are getting some awful internet.
We have a 6mbps down/ 1 mbps up connection, and it is rarely working. We assume its because of a weak signal and wanted to know if there is anything we can do for this issue. We use a Motorola SurfBoard modem, and the connection coming into the apartment seems to be quite stupidly done. The connection comes into the apartment, is split. 1 cable goes to the hdtv and the internet. and the other gets split three more times to the other tvs.

I was wondering if maybe a signal booster put on the cable going to the tv and internet would help us fix the issue.

Unfortunately, because this is South Carolina, they have no idea why its a bad idea to allow a monopoly on a service, and right now we go through northland cable, and pay 55 bucks a month for this service (More than I paid comcast for my 30mbps down / 20mbps up connection) and until hopefully U-Verse comes to this area we are stuck with Northland.

Any Help?

Thanks,
Jack

Sorry I don't have any suggestion I just wanted to comment that 55 bucks a month sounds outstanding for 6mbps down/1mbps up and four TV connections...IF it were working.

Well, 55 a month is ridiculously overpriced.

Its just the internet, nothing else.

And its because there is no competition.

Anywhere where there is competition I could get this same plan for around 35 a month.

I misunderstood since you mentioned that it's split between four TVs as well. Normally if you're not actually getting cable TV, then connecting the cable to your TV doesn't offer any improvement in reception.

Try disconnecting all the splitters and run the cable directly to your cable modem and see if anything improves.

Also, for my Motorola Surfboard cable modem, going to this URL can give you some important signal information.

These values are indicating a good connection for me at this moment:

Frequency 651000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 39 dB
Power Level -3 dBmV

Channel ID 3
Frequency 32096000 Hz Ranged
Power Level 44 dBmV

I would suggest that you put the cable modem on the one split by itself and then put the TV's all on the other split. Also cap any unused ends (can get terminators at places like radio shack). Oh and check your "Signal to Noise Ratio" [higher is better I believe], if it is not in spec then putting in a signal booster will just amplify the noise. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back