Want to upgrade ... but when?

Discussion in 'Benchmarks & Performance' started by BouncingSoul, Nov 7, 2006.

  1. BouncingSoul

    BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

    Messages:
    1,299
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Title says it all, I can't upgrade my current system anymore. Well I could but the minor performance grade (going from 3.4 ghz to 3.8) isn't worth it. So the question is how long do I need to wait. I want to build something that can be upgraded for some time. In other words I need it to be dual core ready with a possibility of going quad in the future. I had heard AMD was working on a board that could do both but I have no idea when its going to be ready. I don't know if Intel is doing the same thing. Any thoughts or recommendations?

    **EDIT**

    Title should be WANT not what. I'm an idiot
     
  2. Sazar

    Sazar F@H - Is it in you? Staff Member Political User Folding Team

    Messages:
    14,905
    Location:
    Between Austin and Tampa
    I was going to edit the title to "WANT not what. I'm an idiot* but I let it slide ;)

    K8L is in the works, core 2 is here now with dual and quad on the same board.

    If you upgrade now, core2 is the way to go.
     
  3. ming

    ming OSNN Advanced

    Messages:
    4,252
    Location:
    UK
    I'd say wait til spring 2007 or later if possible. Let the Quad core cpus become readily available and see the reviews on them before splashing out on a new system. Prices will probably drop quite a bit on the older dual core models. ;)
     
  4. BouncingSoul

    BouncingSoul Stranger Than Fiction Political User

    Messages:
    1,299
    Location:
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Cool, thanks for the advice. I just want to be able to play Double Agent & Neverwinter Nights 2 and apparently you need a beefy system. My vid card is AGP so I can't support it. I was sad!
     
  5. LeeJend

    LeeJend Moderator

    Messages:
    5,291
    Location:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Sadly I have to agree with Sazar. If you're upgrading now go Intel - with Duron, single, dual and quad cores on the way and compatible with one MB socket you can't loose. Performance/heat number is better too.

    AMD on the other hand is so socket changeover happy they no longer show an upgrade path. AMD has a new socket next year (again) and are doing dual sockets on 1 MB to get quad core. They've lost it again.
     
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2006
  6. chastity

    chastity Moderator Political User

    Messages:
    2,273
    Location:
    Arizona near the Grand Canyon
    I would go with Intel, Core2Dual or if you have the money you can go with the quad core Intel chip. PCIx maybe SLi.

    Though I would late at least until after Thanksgiving since most likely start running some good deals
     
  7. Mainframeguy

    Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

    Messages:
    3,763
    Location:
    London, UK
    do it now - I am itching to make the jump myself - both to move along from AGP and to go DUO and just because my old case sucks.....

    All that is holding me back is that I have to move house first! Oh yeah and then it will be Christmas... but come January I'm there! Oh except that I'll be poor then - well as soon as I have money next year I'll be there!