Wan... Lan???

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Ignition, Nov 5, 2004.

1. Ignition

Ignition OSNN Junior Addict

Is there anyway to make my computer believe an incoming WAN connection is a LAN connection??? Thx in advance!

:)

2. loki

loki OSNN Junior Addict

Wow, what would you need that for? To open all ports towards that connection? If so, set your computer as DMZ, then all ports are opened...but I have no idea why you should want what you ask for though...? enlighten me?

3. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

I'd like to hear also - sounds dangerous if you are online :eek:

4. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

yea i fail to see why you would ever set something like that up, in addition a wan connection will never act like a lan connection as there will be a gateway involved. At the same time I can't see why you would need a wan to belive it is a lan.

Provide some more information on what your trying to accomplish and we can help you better.

5. Ignition

Then i can fool some games im running on a LAN then i don't need the cdkey :) :D

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

*slaps Ignition* :p

Don't you enter the CD KEY when you first install the game?

7. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

awww... Just noticed I've been downgraded from VIP to member :(
    LOL :p

8. Tittles

Tittles Dabba Dooba Political User

9. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

If you don't own a license, don't play the game.

The difference between LAN and WAN in this case is that a LAN is computers in the same subnet segment (192.168.0.* is common for a private LAN) whereas the WAN is connected through a gateway (router) so you can talk to computers outside the subnet (i.e. the rest of the world).

If the IP is not in the subnet range, it's not on the LAN.

10. Maveric169

Well as has been stated you insert hte CD key when you install the game for 1, and as Zedric and I have stated there is no way to make a wan think it is a lan because you will never be able to control the external subnet.

11. Ignition

Couldn't i set up a proxy on one computer of my LAN, let somebody connect to it and then redirect that traffic to my computer? :confused: Wouldn't that work?

12. apu95

apu95 Caffeine-->Code Converter

¬_¬

im not sure if the proxy thing will work...i have a better suggestion tho: how 'bout you pay for the game and get a legit cd key?

13. why would you wanna do that wan is a network on a wide area, and lan is local so if you want a wan connection just spread the computers across the city :D

14. Kush

Kush High On Life!

well, he could have a legit game, which i dont think so, but just wants to play at a lan party or somthing, cuz that will gaurentee speeds across the computers, depends on which game he wants to play, cuz some games have trainers/patches like that (not official, 3rd party)

15. my college has a WAN spread all across the 9 campuses in toronto it's pretty cool

16. Kush

Kush High On Life!

i own the internet, yup its true, al gore sold it to me, so its pretty huge, I OWNZ U ALL! hehe

17. Maveric169

Well reguardless of his reasons, you can't make a WAN think it is a LAN, PERIOD.

18. Kush

Kush High On Life!

yeah thats why there are progies, that trick the game into thinking its wan, when its actually lan, i know there was one for need for speed underground, saw it at a net cafe in egypt

19. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

But this is the other way around...

20. Maveric169

Well I am sure that there are programs that would allow you to mask/spoof the IP adresses, but you have to have this software setup on both ends. But as this is probley getting to the point of warez and will start violating guidlines for the forum, I am going any futher on this, especially considering it is for the purpose of using illegal copies of a game to begin with.