VW "speed sender" question

I agree with Gonadds, Ive pulled apart a few automatic gearboxs in my time and every one of them has a metal ring gear in it. I would take off VSS and look at the end of the shaft, it nearly always has a plastic gear on the end of it, IMHO this could be badly worn or a few teeth missing.
This is probably why you are getting inconsistant readouts on your speedo.

themafia_69 said:
kinda off topic, but fyi the jetta here in the middle east is the bora, why do they do that name it different in different areas
I think it's common practice for businesses to name a product based on location. Like take for instance the car that was released here in the US (I'm not a car guy as you can tell and thus I havn't the name .. sorry) that sounded interesting here but when translated meant something completely unflattering. :p Hmm.. that even make sense .. bed is almost upon me. :p

gonaads said:
Xie

The part that they could be refering to is in the first image (No. 53). the price for the part is in the second image. Price can vary from source to source, but not by much. But if this IS it. they have to remove and disassemble the trans in order to get to it. Cheap part expensive to get to. :(

I still thing there is something off about the diagnosis of this problem. Get a second opinion. But don't tell whoever ya take it to that it has already been looked at. Go and get it checked like if you never have done anything. So this way you get a fresh diagnosis.
I would like to say once again thanks a tons for taking your time to help a sad case like myself.

Ok so they _could_ possibly be right .. which is a bad thing. :( Oh and I have no loyalty at all to this VW dealer as this problem is the only reason I have taken it to them as I figure this is what they do, work on VW's. :) And I might take up your suggestion. Gonna cost me some more $ but will be cheaper then shelling out $2600 that I don't have. :p

Good luck and keep us informed as to the outcome. :)

I got a reply in some auto forum and I thought I would go ahead and post it here as he seems to know about this problem. Anyhoo here is the post ...
Have They Or You Replaced The Speedometer Drive Gear In The Transmission? It Is Located On The Speed Sensor. What Can Happen Is The Gear Gets A Crack In It And At Faster Speeds The Gear Starts To Seperate And Does Not Make Good Contact With The Gear On The Ring Gear. I Have Also Seen The Same Thing On The Plastic Gear That Drives The Speedometer Gear That Is Attached To The Ring Gear. If You Remove The Speedometer Sensor, Which Is Very Easy To Do, You Can Look Down There And May Be Able To See Something. If The Problem Is With The Plastic Gear On The Ring Gear The Transmission Will Need To Be Torn Down For Reapir.
This post does make my head ache with car gibberish. :p

Xie said:
I got a reply in some auto forum and I thought I would go ahead and post it here as he seems to know about this problem. Anyhoo here is the post ...

God, that person needs to learn how to type :p

Xie said:

This is what I have turned up as to this situation also. As I posted in a couple of my previous posts 'bout the ring gear and the drive gear. The other problem is that the gear(s) will dish out and loose contact with each other. In other words the gears wear out. But this is a '97 model year, which would be odd. More probable that the gear is cracked and is slipping.

Yeah it is pretty much the same as your post gonaads. I just wanted to show my 2nd online opinion says the same thing. :p Anyways sometime in the next few days I hope to see if I get my car someplace before the end of the week.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back