Voltron The Movie!

tdinc

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
"Voltron: Defender of the Universe" is coming to the big screen.

Producer Mark Gordon ("The Day After Tomorrow") is developing a big-budget feature based on the 1980s giant robot kids TV series and toy sensation.

The "Voltron" animated TV series debuted in 1984, about the same time as Hasbro's Transformers toy line, igniting a morphing robot phenomenon. According to sources, Voltron has generated $750 million in worldwide licensing and nearly $200 million in toys and merchandising since 1984. The show, in its many incarnations, remains syndicated throughout the world.

The story being developed will be based on the series about five maverick explorer-pilots who must travel to the planet Arus to learn how to operate Voltron, a giant mechanical warrior formed by five smaller robots. The gargantuan robot is the last hope against the evil Drule Empire that has subjugated Earth and taken control of the universe.

Two employees at New Line Cinema, Mark Costa and Ford Oelman, secured the rights from "Voltron" owner World Events, and eventually brought the project to Gordon, whose credits also include "Saving Private Ryan" and "Speed." Costa and Oelman will executive produce, along with Pharrell Williams, one-half of the producing duo the Neptunes, who will score the film and produce the soundtrack.

"Voltron" is now the second giant robot picture being developed; "Transformers" is set up at DreamWorks Pictures.

link

Last edited:
I really hope they don't kill it, though I have an overwhelming feeling they will, and that I'll still watch it. :(

It's funny how "Hollywood" is making more and more Comic Book/Video Game Movies. I think that the Studios, Directors and Producers are really loosing their collective imaginations. They can't come up with their own ideas anymore. But when they do create these Comic Book/Video Game Movies they are doing them pretty well, so far.

gonaads said:
It's funny how "Hollywood" is making more and more Comic Book/Video Game Movies. I think that the Studios, Directors and Producers are really loosing their collective imaginations. They can't come up with their own ideas anymore. But when they do create these Comic Book/Video Game Movies they are doing them pretty well, so far.

I noticed that, they are remaking old tv shows and comics, I wonder what will happen when they run out of those...maybe we will all go back to reading books :lick:

It has been a really long time since I had watched this show, and actually there were 2 series by this name... I'm gathering they mean the one with the lions based on the description above...

hahaha yea right is that the one with the little robotic tigers that turns into a bigger robot haa omg i used to watch that thing everyday when i was a baby

Yeah, the original one was with the lions. It's been so long ago, I only half remember it now. Voltron was the bigger robot that the 5 lions transformed into when they came together...

The sweatest part was how they created the sword out of nothing. :p Ahh.. the good old days, before cartoons got lame (or is it I grew up?).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back