Vista, Network Drives & Samba

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Aprox, Jan 31, 2007.

1. Aprox

Aprox Moderator Political User

I got a question regarding Vista network drives and if its relevant Samba. I run a file/web server that uses samba. It works great in XP, but in vista I had some trouble getting it to work right but after some poking around and some Google searches I was able to get it connected to my server. Now though, I'm having trouble keeping it connected. Whenever I reboot my computer the network drive will not connect automatically, I have to double click it and type in my password every time. I have remapped it several times trying to get it to stick, but it just wont. Does anyone have any ideas?

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

I'm guessing you already checked the "Reconnect at logon" box in the Map Network Drive wizard. Did you also click the "Connect using a different user name" link and enter the credentials before mapping the drive?

3. Aprox

Yep, I did both of those things. I can't figure why its not working correctly.

4. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Welcome to Vista! Lets change the SMB protocol so we can break linux!

5. Aprox

heh, yeah perhaps. Do you think it could have anything to do with my version of Samba? I'm not sure I want to go through the headache of updating and configuring it though... :(

6. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

So does the problem crop up only with samba shares? Have you tried mapping a password-protected network share of another Windows (not Vista) machine to see if it still happens?

7. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Honestly, I am not sure what they changed with SMB, but I know they modified it and I've read that there will be some incompatibilities.

Not sure why you have to type in a password, you should never have to do that. Is the Vista user a user in the samba backend?

8. Shamus MacNoob

Shamus MacNoob Moderator Political User

And it starts lets bash Vista and make Linux look good !! :rolleyes:

9. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

I actually read that it was a Samba problem and they were working on it -- as it affected Xbox MediaCenter as well.