vista install problem on new h/drive

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by mac1, Sep 15, 2010.

1. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

I had to replace the hard drive on a insprion 1525 laptop and went to install vista home premium, every time i try to install vista it starts to load then crashes just after you see the cursor appearing on the black screen.

I have tried different disc's and even changed the bios settings to sata only. it's for a friend and it has the vista coa sticker on the bottom so i must install vista for him.

The old h/drive was dead so i could not ghost it to the new drive.

The funny thing is windows xp home installs OK.

anybody know whats wrong
    thanks

2. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

i have just found out that one of the ram chips is playing up, it has 3gb of ram and i removed the 1gb one and vista installed ok. maybe this will help others in the same situation.

PS: whats wrong with this form, it seems nobody wants to help joe public anymore.

bit sad really.

3. GamerKid

GamerKid OSNN One Post Wonder

I've had so many issues with vist like that, it's better to just upgrade to windows 7

4. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Vista has an issue installing on more than 2GB of ram. Once installed it will work just fine :)

5. Terrahertz

Terrahertz Extinction Agenda Political User Folding Team

Unfortunately you're right. Use to be very busy in here but I guess life tends to get a hold of you. Glad you were able to solve your problem.

What don't you understand?
    _____________________________________________________________________________________

6. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

Just like to say thanks to all who replied... sorry for not replying as i had to go into hospital fror a while.. ok now

7. mac1

mac1 OSNN Addict

i didn't know that as i have installed vista with 3gb ram before, maybe it only happens on certain laptops..

thanks again