Virtual Private Networking (VPN) - NT4 - Mapping Network Shares

JSylvia007

OSNN Junior Addict
Ok guys! You have all helped me out before, I'm begging this time. I am trying to help out a friend who owns a small insurance company, with two offices. Currently, the two offices are connected through a dedicated 56k line. As you can all guess, this is quite slow. The main Office has a Windows NT4.0 SP6a Server, which hosts the database. Both offices have a VerizonDSL connection. I believe, through VPN, I can connect the two offices over the high-speed DSL, and eliminate the 56k all together. I believe that Windows NT4.0 has built-in VPN support, but I'm not completely sure how to set it up, and whether or not i will be able to share files, and map drives over the connection. I would really appreciate the help on this one. If you have any ideas, tips, or HOW-TO's on this subject matter, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks again guys! :D

~JAKE

Originally posted by waddy
I havent got time to explain it to you but these links are what i have used in the past

Once you VPN in, you are basically part of the LAN, you can map, share drives etc.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/TechNet/columns/tips/15tipsfo.asp

This one is for 2K but gives an idea

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308208

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/technologies/communications/vpn/default.asp#section3
look look Waddy posted :p

Well I still havent been able to connect the two offices. And the topic seems to have died... I'm begging here guys... i need some help with this one... I've been able to "set-up" vpn access. I think. I set it up using a tutorial I found online, and I can accessm and login to the NT4 server from home, the problem comes when I try to access network drives. I just get "network path not found" errors. I am also unable to PING the IP of the server, and when I check the VPN connection through windows, it tells me that I have "SENT" about 20,700 Bytes (which increases the longer i stay online), but i have only recieved 371 Bytes, and this number remains the same wether i am on for 5 minutes or 2 hours. Alsom whenever I connect to the NT4 server, all TCP/IP on my laptop fails. ie: I can't access the web, and AIM drops out, and wont reconnect until I disconnect from the VPN.

PLEASE HELP ME GUYS!

~Jake
ps. the links that WADDY posted came up "moved, or do not exist anymore"

When I create a VPN connection to my network at work it cuts off all my other web connections so that part is normal.

Never tried it myself but heres a how to VPN using windows built in IPSec.

http://www.tomshardware.com/network/20030904/index.html

Also check the obvious. Are you using login and password to get access to the remote network?

Is there firewalls (hard or soft) on the remote machines?

Have the remote machines been set up to share over the WAN?

Geffy :p

How are you trying to map the drives by name, ip or through network neighbourhood ?

When you ping does it resolve a name to the IP ?

If you are running 2K/XP adjust your host file. Map the server name to the IP in there.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc

E.g

127.0.0.1 Server01

Or in 98 lmhosts file

Then try just mapping them by

Start > Run

\\<server IP>\share

If that works, try it by name

\\<server name>\share

Configure Wins on the server and clients.

Go to cmd prompt

ipconfig /flushdns

ipconfig /registerdns

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back