video out problem.

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by mooo, Mar 12, 2005.

1. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

i have a little older pc, 1.1 athlon xp with a geforce mx 440 videocard. About 2weeks ago i thought the hd died and didn't use it till the other day. i turned on the PC and it booted fine. I formatted windows and after about 20minutes of being it the screen became really jumpy. Its hard to explain, but about 1inch from the sides and then about half of an inch from there it just jumps. It can't be the monitor bc i have tried on 2 different ones. So any on what might cause this. I have never seen it be this bad before.

2. did you try resizing the picture using the screen menu?

3. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Usually that's the monitor going bad, but it could be the video card. Re-seat the connectors and dust off the fans is about all you can do.

4. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Yeah I was thinking monitor right up till he said it was fine on 2 other boxes. You can try re-seating the video card like LeeJend suggested. If that doesn't work try swapping in a known good video card and see if the problem continues. If it's the card you have a reason to upgrade. :D

5. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

I swapped out with an old ati and it worked fine. Now i just have to figure out what is causing this.

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

Well if changing the card fixed it then it seems that old card is giving up the ghost. You should be able to replace it fairly cheap if all you want is something low end.

7. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

yea, just going out of the house sucks :p
    /me likes to stay all reclused up

8. trainmaster77

trainmaster77 Moderator Political User Folding Team

just curious ... did you happen to have a magnet anywhere close to teh monitor? I made teh mistake once with a 20inch trinitron monitor taking a picture of these 40lb subwoofers with my webcam too close to teh monitor. and it did something like you are talking about after that.

9. mooo

mooo thecyberninja

na, no speakers near them. I think its just the last days of the card