VBS Script

Discussion in 'Windows Server Systems' started by Coso, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Coso

Coso OSNN One Post Wonder

I am trying to write a VBS script that will map drives and printers depending on what location the employee is at. I have a mixed win 7 and xp environment with 08 servers. I need to use IP address instead of site name because there are users that will take their laptops between locations. So far i have the following but i can not get it to run via GPO:

Code:
    Dim strComputer,strIPAddress,strIPRange
    Dim objNetwork
    Dim IPConfigSet, IPConfig
    Dim arrIPAddress
    strComputer = "."
    Set IPConfigSet = GetObject("winmgmts:{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!//" _ 
     & strComputer & "/root/cimv2").ExecQuery("select IPAddress from " _ 
     & "Win32_NetworkAdapterConfiguration where IPEnabled=True") 

Set objNetwork = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Network")
    For Each IPConfig In IPConfigSet
         If Not IsNull(IPConfig.IPAddress) Then
              arrIPAddress = split(IPConfig.IPAddress(0) ,".")
              strIPRange = arrIPAddress(0) & "." & arrIPAddress(1) & "." & arrIPAddress(2) & ".0" 
              select case strIPRange
                   case "172.31.2.*"
       WshNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "G:"
       WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "G:", "[URL="file://\\Server\Folder"]\\Server\Folder[/URL]"
                        objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "[URL="file://\\Server\Printer"(UPSTAIRS"]\\Server\Printer"(UPSTAIRS[/URL])"
                   case "172.31.1.*"
       WshNetwork.RemoveNetworkDrive "G:"
       WshNetwork.MapNetworkDrive "G:", "[URL="file://\\Server\Folder"]\\Server\Folder[/URL]"
                        objNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection "[URL="file://\\Server\Printer"]\\Server\Printer[/URL]"
              end select
         end if
    next
    set objNetwork = nothing
    set IPConfigSet = nothing

The logon script was added here in GPO "User Configuration", "Windows Settings", "Scripts (Logon/Logoff)", "Logon"

Any help would be great, this is getting stressful because this is one of the first scripts i need to run via vbs rather than just batch and i never really learned vbs :crosseyed: Thanks!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2011
  2. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Assuming it's an Active Directory environment and you've setup your sites correctly, it shouldn't matter if they have laptops as wherever the computer is, it will pick up the correct AD site and you should be able to map drives based on site.

That all being said, does the script work if you run it manually?
    The code you wrote has you setting the strIPRange variable to xxx.xxx.xxx.0 but your case statement has you searching on xxx.xxx.xxx.* - it will never find a match that way.

Code:
    strIPRange = arrIPAddress(0) & "." & arrIPAddress(1) & "." & arrIPAddress(2) & ".0" 

select case strIPRange
      case "172.31.2.*"
      case "172.31.1.*"
    end select

3. Coso

Coso OSNN One Post Wonder

thanks, i got it working now