V+ to satellite??

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by ming, Jul 21, 2008.

1. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

err.. just out of curiousity, does anyone know if you can connect a v/v+ box to a satellite dish and get a picture?? or sky/sky+ to cable? :p

2. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

doubt it due to the different encryption they use, now if you had something that could strip that, and if you could reprogram the boxes (might not be required though) you might be in business :)

3. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

uh no, cable is cable, sky is sky :)

Totally different :)

4. falconguard

falconguard Carbon based lifeform Political User Folding Team

If your sky box or cable has secondary inputs, you can try those, than it is just a matter of channging the input of the main box.

My cable box allows for secondary inputs, however, I am unfamiliar with sky or V/V+

5. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

As Lord says, they're totally different so won't work. It's a bit like asking if you can plug a hosepipe into the mains (though a little less dangerous).

6. Dark Atheist

Dark Atheist Moderator Political User Folding Team

once the signal is decoded is it not just like any other stream sent to the tv from a box? all the box is there is to unscramble the encoded signal

7. ray_gillespie

ray_gillespie Moderator Staff Member Political User

I presume you're right Carpo, but that's why you need the original box for the satellite dish/cable - plugging a V+ box straight into a satellite dish wouldn't allow for any decoding etc.

8. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

Cable uses nagravision content scrambling, sky uses a custom one that hasn't been cracked since it was developed (hence why you don't see pirate cards for sale as you do with other satelite services and why you can buy pirate cable boxes)

The signals are also different. It just won't work.

9. greentea

greentea OSNN Addict

I guess so...

10. sean.ferguson

sean.ferguson Moderator Folding Team

As mentioned before, Sky and Cable are completely different (Microwaves vs Fiber Optic/Light) Nothing I have heard of can accomplish what you are asking. Why would you want to do this anyway?

11. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

err.. that might be true on the carrier side, but both STBs only have coaxial inputs, hence the question.

12. LordOfLA

LordOfLA Godlike!

and you never stopped to think the tech needed to decode each was completely different? :p

13. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

well, if i didn't think of anything like that this thread would never have been created. besides, i'm not a techie so i won't fully understand how things are decoded. :p