utorrent

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Bman, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

windows can't seem to remember this program is installed.

everytime i open it up it asks me if i want this to be the default program for torrents....whats going on?

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

How do you "open it up"?

If you open the program by clicking on it's icon then it's a program bug.

If you open torrents by double clicking them then most likely something else is highjacking the .torrent extension.

Open my computer, select tools, folder options, file types, and see what program is set as the default. It should be utorrent. If it is not select change and set it to utorrent.

Reboot and if it goes back to something else the other program is highjacking the file setting. Get rid of the offending program.

If it is set to utorrent then utorrent has a bug or there is a setting to tell it to stop bugging you that you need to select.

On the other hand you could have found a Vista bug. Welcome to unpaid beta testing.

3. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Each time you start µTorrent, it's trying to add the .torrent association to the registry and failing because it doesn't have privileges to do so.

Right-click the µTorrent shortcut, and select the "Run as Administrator" option. When asked, set it to the default program for .torrents. Close µTorrent, and start it up again. You only need to do this once to register it as the default handler for .torrent files.

4. Bman

Bman OSNN Veteran Original

I have noticed I have to do that with alot of programs, is this the new thing and has to be done with each new program?

5. American Zombie

American Zombie Moderator Staff Member Political User

Vista does not show file types in folder options. Click on Start > Default Programs > associate a file type or protocol with a program

Also check in utorrent options > preferences > general > Windows Integration

Last edited: Feb 20, 2007
  6. Smoke286

Smoke286 Smokeater

Do you have UAC disabled?

7. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Ooops :suprised: Vista thread. Am I embarrased...