User Permissions & Defrag

S

[SOB]Turranx

What Registry keys must I add permissions too for regular "Users" to defrag their hard drives under Windows XP Pro? I will not give them Administrative priviliges.

If you are formatted as NTFS there is no reason to do this. NT based systems do not fragment like 9x systems do. (unless you are installing and unistalling software on a constant basis which the user can not do without hight access)

The end users are adament about being able to defrag their HD. If you knew the kind of work environment I must deal with, you'd understand.

Again, what registry keys must I hack to allow non-administrators to defrag their HD?

The end user also needs to realize that you are the admin not them. You know what is best for their computer.

One thing you could do would be to give them Power User access if you don't mind them being able to install programs or you can make a custom group policy that gives them the rights to run defrag. Again, you should explain to them that it is uneccessary to run defrag all the time in an NT based OS.

I second opens facts...as does microsoft

microsoft didn't even want to put the defrag in the nt kernal...diskeeper talked them into it

I know all this. Please don't preach to me. If you can't tell me what I must do to allow a non-administrator to run defrag on their HD, don't post in this topic.

Again, what registry keys must I hack to allow non-administrators to defrag their HD?

I told you. Make a custom group policy and ad the users to that group.

Also, if you are going to let your users push you aroung like this you may want to find a new field of work.

You @$$ 'ole. You tell me to make a custom policy, but not how to do it. You then insult my intelligence and abilities. I don't want your help any more. Please don't post on this topic again.

take it easy turranx...everyone here just tries to help...when they give it, if it's not what you want, give them a break, if they misspeak on what they thought they told you, please don't insult them.

we're very chilin here

on another issue, your signature oversizes our browsers...could you make it smaller please

Defrag can only be done by an admin. No reg hack to change.

This is how you fix it. Get a soft, squishy tomato, and sit on it.

Where do you get off talking like that to people who are trying to help you?

Just tell your end users that it defrags automatically on boot-up. if they don't believe you, just tell them you have software and policies in place that have it do this. I know it's not true, but they don't need to know the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back