User Accounts

H

hudgie

I have this prob with my user accounts on XP home. for some reason, when i click start>run>control userpasswords2 the guest account no longer shows up. the prob is, that my guest account is edited form there, to a standard user. for a certain installation, i need it to become an admin, then back to regular guest. i was able to do this once, but for some reason it no longer shows up as an option. can someone help me please?

hudgie

Accounts that are disabled will not appear in 'userpasswords2'. Make sure you have the Guest account enabled by going through the Control Panel/User Accounts. Click "Guest Account" and then "Turn Guest Account On". Then it should appear in 'userpasswords2'.

the guest account, now renamed to something other than guest, along with privileges of a regular user (can burn cds, etc.) is active. i use it all the time. the prob is that i can only turn it on and off from the user account in the control panel. if it would work like it used to, to be able to see it in control userpasswords2, i would be able to reset PW, change name, account type etc.

Quite honestly, you shouldn't rename the guest account and use it as a regular account. The guest account is setup to have certain permissions and those permissions only. You should just create a new 'regular' user for use. I am sure dealer or allan will agree with me on this.

so i screwed up. lifes like that. the point is i want to change it back. can anyone help me with that?

it was just that i wanted a "regular" account that could get turned on or off

thanks

hudgie

I have two useraccounts, one is my usual account.. the one I use for internet, gaming, work, etc, and other same account for tweaking practises so I can see what any tweaks I get from here do to my system.

I do not need to disable or turn off the tweaking account. I just ingore it.

While I do not believe there is a way to rename that account to the original name, it is all too easy to create an account that has the Guest properties. You can do that in control userpasswords2. Just add an account and make it a member of the group GUESTS. Doubleclicking on any account you can change group-membership, but don't change the built-in accounts. I'm just curious how exactly you managed to redefine the Guest account. If I know that, I might figure out a way to get it back to it's original state, though not very likely. Anyone considering tinkering: this account is also used for accessing a local network with Win9X computer to allow annonymous access to shared local resources.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back