User account disappeared from Welcome Screen

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
For some reason, one of the four user accounts on my system has vanished. The user's folder in Documents and Settings is still intact and when the user logs on with Ctrl+Alt+Del (instead of clicking the name), I can type in his name and the system logs on with his settings etc as normal.
When going to 'User Accounts' in Control Panel, I tried to create a new user with the same name as the disappeared one, but then Windows says the account can't be created, because the name already exists.
How can I reset the Welcome screen to display the missing user?

If you can still logon to this account it is obviously still active.

Check in the registry if the account is listed at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\SpecialAccounts\UserList

and has a value of 0. If so change this to 1.

try this *regedit
navigate to
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \SOFTWARE \Microsoft \Windows NT \CurrentVersion \Winlogon \
SpecialAccounts \UserList]

Create a new DWORD value
Value Name: the missing user name
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: 1

this is usually used to get the administrator on the welcome screen
it should work (not tested) let us know how you get on

always back up before messing with the registry

I found it out! I created a DWORD named <account name> and with a value of 1 in the reg path you specified and now it shows up! Thanks!
I am still wondering why it disappeared though.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back