Use switch or router to share internet conenction (adsl)?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by fantasi, Apr 17, 2004.

1. fantasi

fantasi My Yngy is My HoneY! Folding Team

I am thinking of getting an adsl connection and want to share between 2 computers. Can a switch be able to do this or would a router be better?

also, my friend has a switch that has 3 people connected, in order to go online, all comps must be set to automatic DHCP but when we want to play a lan game (e.g. war3) we have to manually set one? anyone know why?

2. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

1. i'd get a router. if you use a switch, one of the computers would have to be left on so that the other computer could access the internet.

2. hmm, that's weird. can you give us a little diagram of how the network is? is it connected to the internet in anyway?

3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

It is because the switch is not a DHCP server like a router, the computers are receiving a WAN IP via DHCP not a LAN IP.

4. cpugeniusmv

cpugeniusmv Computer Genius

that's what i was thinking...but i wasn't sure how he had the internet connected to it :)

5. Reg

Reg eXperienced!

I would also go with the router. A lot of ISP's charge you more for multiple IP addresses and using a switch would require multiple. A router would only need one IP from your provider. It would assign private IP addresses to your machines, thus saving you money.

6. ming

ming OSNN Advanced

Most DSL modem/routers include a 4 port switch in them already.

7. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

a router is the way to go, one with a built in adsl modem will be even better and simpler :cool:

8. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

router most definately.
    on my own setup, i go from the modem, to a router, which goes to my xbox, a couple pc's, and another switch. from the switch, to a few more puters.

9. chaos945

chaos945 Moderator

Switch get a SWITCH! Err, Router. :p

10. Tweakfiend

Tweakfiend OSNN Senior Addict

Yes Router/ modem is by far the best.... and you can net share,fileshare as well as share cd/dvd drives etc.