USB Stick not working in 1 specific machine

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by macromp, May 22, 2009.

1. macromp

macromp the retarded one

The title says it all really. someone at work has a USB memory stick which works in all machines except one. It is an XP machine, the stick works in all other XP machines (they all use the same build), apparently the stick used to work but randomly stopped, which kind of rules out it not being a usb 2 port, format of the stick etc.

there is also no way to format it in the new machine, the option is greyed out

any ideas? tried googling it but not coming up with much

2. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

try to reformat in another machine, see if there are new drivers for it as well

3. kcnychief

kcnychief █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User Folding Team

I would check disk management - what sometimes happens is a network drive gets mapped for the drive letter that that USB key used previously. If there is a drive letter conflict, i.e. a mapped network drive that is connected before the USB drive is - the USB drive loses the battle and won't display. You can assign it a new letter, or plug it in before boot to see if that takes the network drive letter away and assigns it to the device.

4. macromp

macromp the retarded one

ok cheers, i'll have a go at work tomorrow and see what happens

5. Igorokk

Igorokk OSNN One Post Wonder

Horrible stick, have one myself and after a couple of weeks, there were serious calibration/precision issues. Whatever you do, dont get that one. Perhaps theres a nice joystick from Saitek, dunno. Anyway Saitek is a decent brand.

6. ShepsCrook

ShepsCrook Red Sox Fan!

This is talking about a USB flash drive, not a USB Joystick