USB - Networking

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by indyjones, Nov 30, 2003.

1. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Hi There
    Could someone give me a heads up about networking with USB.
    i have always run traditional ones before but one of my housemates wants to setup a direct link between his and his brothers pc for file transfer only. Could some tell me how to set a usb link and if any software is needed.

Cheers

2. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

you need a usb network dongle, there not cost effective against 2 cheap nic's and a patch cable. it's not a simple case of hooking up a £1.99 usb cable worst luck.

3. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

USB Networking would be perfect for that. Just buy a USB direct connect cable or a box that joins two cables for the purpose of networking. You cant just string a plain USB cable between then though. Make sure the cable is specially made for computer to computer networking.

JJB

4. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

interesting. i didn't know this was possible. can you show us an example of one of those cables?

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

6. gillmacca

gillmacca Macca

If the 2 metre cable is not long enough, can I just attach a normal usb cable onto it to extend it?
    If not, how do I extend it?

7. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

yes, the speed will slow up a little, i think up to 10-15 meters on usb.

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

oh, okay. it just seems to be a condensed version of what would be two usb ethernet adapters and an ethernet cable. except they skip the ethernet hardware and have both adapters from both computers tie directly into each other (in that box). it still uses a network protocol.

still cool, but i was thinking of more of a pure-usb connection. like once you plug it in, the "found new hardware" bubble would pop up and it'd end up being recognized as something like "usb pc connection" or something and the other comp would come up as another drive under 'my computer'.
    ;)

9. indyjones

indyjones OSNN.net Adventurer

Cheers for the heads up i think i will just recommend him to get a cross-over cable and use nics the usb option is a little pricey!
    Thanks Again

10. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, the crossover cable is always the best option.

11. Henyman

Henyman Secret Goat Fetish Political User

12. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

Kingston 1GB CompactFlash Card + Adapter? that's what the link points to. you must mean this. :)

and they're fine. they've been out for a while. if reception is going to be an issue (distant/secluded access point), then the kind that are a station with an antenna and a usb cord going to your comp (like this) are better. because those stick ones are going to be stuck on the back of your comp and might not get the best signal. or on the front, i suppose, if you don't think it'll get broken off.
    :p

13. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

I believe 16 feet (5 meters) is the maximum for a reliable USB Connection without hubs. You can dasiy chain USB hubs though for up to 98.4 ft (30 m) with a hub every 16 feet, though that could get expensive. If they're more then 16 feet (5 meters) apart, get two NICs and a crossover CAT5 Cable.

JJB