USB Flash for booting?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by RobbieSan, May 28, 2003.

1. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

I was wondering if a USB flash stick would be good for booting? I ask because my mobo (A7N8X) provides USB-HDD as a bootable device..

Anyone have experience booting with this stuff?

2. Zedric

Zedric NTFS Guru Folding Team

Yeah it should work as long as you're able to make it bootable. Never tried though. :)

3. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

this is a bit confuzzling so I'll to research a bit more.. this PDF on USB Flash says it can be made bootable but not under 2000 or XP..

4. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

hmm, now that I think about it that shouldn't matter since we're booting into DOS.. I guess I could use a Win98 or Me image to boot from.. I might experiment with one of these down the road..

5. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

i've always thought that was an excellent idea. about 100x faster than the archaic floppy drive, way more reliable, and you can put an entire minimalist installation of 98se on a 256mb stick, probably.

don't think my board supports it. :(

6. RobbieSan

RobbieSan Guest

that's a pretty up to date board with NF2 chipset.. same as the A7N8X so I think it would support a USB-HDD boot.. have a look in your BIOS under bootable devices and see if it's an option..

7. Geffy

Geffy Moderator Folding Team

be way cool system recovery device with like a cutdown version of BSD or something on it

8. Taurus

Taurus hardware monkey

yeah, i checked. i just hope that maybe a future bios update will give me that option.