Okay here we go.
I have purchased
Asus A7N8X mobo
2 sticks azenram 512 pc2700 ddr
athlon 2400xp- got a deal on it. May return for a 2700
lian li pc65u case
All other components will be reused from the system below
Now the questions
1 - Do I have to reformat - 40 gig has xp pro on it; 120 is for files, video(80mb)
2- What sort of grief am I going to get from M$ wpa. XP pro is licensed copy but I am forever swapping pci and video cards
3- Any words of wisdom

thanks!!!

If that Hard Drive was used with a different mobo then the answer will be probably yes! but give it a try, no harm trying to run the hard drive with the xp on.

I personally would start fresh - new system = new o/s.

Skazz

1 - Do I have to reformat - 40 gig has xp pro on it; 120 is for files, video(80mb)

No, but when you change motherboards, it is always a good idea to do a format and a clean install. Just to get windows to boot up after you put in a new MOBO you usually have to do a repair install. But a format/clean install is probably best.
2- What sort of grief am I going to get from M$ wpa. XP pro is licensed copy but I am forever swapping pci and video cards
Probably none, at the very worst you will have to call the 800 number and tell them you just upgraded your motherboard. I have done a clean install and then two days later upgaded my motherboard/CPU did another clean install and it activated on the internet without any problems.

here's the wpa thing, though. If you do trip the activation, it's a fairly straightforward process to re-activate, and I've found MS pretty forgiving. They just say "is this for a single computer?", and you say yes, and then you read off a zillion and 2 numbers to them (what a job that must be after getting a BS in computer engineering-reading back meaningless numbers to dolts!) It takes about 15 minutes. OK not so bad but now you are FOREVER doomed to go through this phone process EVERY time you re-format. Not only that, but recently I uninstalled and re-installed a NIC driver, and I had to re-activate (by phone!!!) for THAT!!! It's dumb dumb dumb. Makes you wanna steal as much software as you can just to get back at them (just kidding....)

kip

okay I do have a in the box copy of xp home
how bout installing with this and then once all hardware is in and running upgrade to xp pro. Only 1 phone call??
I apologise if this is getting off topic "hardware"
maybe thus thread should be moved to "upgrades"

Okay, here is the real deal with Microsoft Activation.

After activation, your infomation stays in the microsoft's database for 60 days. During these days you can not activate that copy of windows.

After those 60 days your 'infomation' is kicked from the database, and you can activate the same copy of windows.

This is contine to loop until microsoft changes their "smart":huh: system.

BTW: If you want to use a microsoft product, buy it. Don't use warez.

Originally posted by jkipk
Makes you wanna steal as much software as you can just to get back at them (just kidding....)

But are you really kidding? ;)

Melon

sorry but u will

sorry but u will have to format tthe drive that u have xp on, cuz i tried the same thing but when i booted for the first time and it said ntldr missing and u cant do boot fix that wont work. i had to reformat so i took an another hard drive 20gb and moved all my mp3's and videos and stuff, then i installed it. runs like a charm except that i dont have a psu so it doenst turn on. hehe i neeed one ill get one soon!

Originally posted by lieb39
Okay, here is the real deal with Microsoft Activation.

After activation, your infomation stays in the microsoft's database for 60 days. During these days you can not activate that copy of windows.

After those 60 days your 'infomation' is kicked from the database, and you can activate the same copy of windows.

This is contine to loop until microsoft changes their "smart":huh: system.

BTW: If you want to use a microsoft product, buy it. Don't use warez.

It because they don't think anyone will have it up and running for 60 days straight. It woulda worked perfect for WinME

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back