After christmas my system shoudl be:

EVGA 780i SLI MOBO
6GB 1066 RAM
Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
GTX280 1GB Vid
27" LCD Monitor
2x 1TB SATA Drives
2x 500GB SATA Drives

I've also been running Vista since launch. No problems at all ... even when it first came out and people were bitching about drivers. If you have relatively modern hardware ... you shouldn't have a problem.

I have yet to run into very many things software-wise. I can't even remember the last time.

Dude I couldn't get Max Payne running in 32bit Vista, I doubt it will work in 64bit Vista.

noooooooo! well I'll try anyway, but at least I won't get my hopes up now :(

I've been using Vista 64 since December of last year. Things were a little shaky then, but, particularly since SP1, it seems like there's real interest in developers supporting it. I have a dual boot with XP on my machine, in case something isn't supported in Vista 64, but, frankly, I barely even use XP these days. I think that to be a good sign.

The only things I'd advise is that there's a chance that some of your software won't be compatible with Vista 64, particularly if it is old and not upgraded, and you should also make sure that all of your hardware has 64-bit drivers. Wireless cards, in general, have been one of the least friendly classes of hardware, in this regard.

My earlier post was from experience about 6 months old, so maybe it was bad advice. Did they ever get Bluetooth working under x64? That's one of the main reasons I didn't fully convert, gotta have my Bluetooth keyboard/mouse! :cool:

Like I said, there are very very few things that won't work outright.

your stuff is pretty much guaranteed to work now.

That is good, but I'd like to know about Bluetooth as well, working?

It either outright wont work, or is pretty much guaranteed to work. LOL Clear as mud. :laugh:

I have many videos (TV, Movies)

I have a huge music collection.

I have a huge Game Collection.

After christmas my system shoudl be:

EVGA 780i SLI MOBO
6GB 1066 RAM
Q6600 @ 3.3GHz
GTX280 1GB Vid
27" LCD Monitor
2x 1TB SATA Drives
2x 500GB SATA Drives

NIce! All My Music and Videos are on an external WD Studio hooked up to my ps3! Damn the ps3 needs MKV support so bad!

Quite happy here using Vista x64.
Not found any software that refuses to run.

I've just installed XP x64 and thought I would share what I've discovered so far.
Bluetooth works.
Microsoft Fingerprint Reader does not. No 64-bit driver, and none on the horizon. (Way to go, Micro$haft)
Flash and Java does not work on a 64-bit browser. Gotta use the 32-bit version of IE or FF.
My ATI Theater 550 Pro capture card works now, but only with older drivers.
A capture software called Snappysoft I use works, as well as a DVR software called LuxRiot.
Seems like all my games work too.
Windows Update still does not work on a 64-bit browser. (Again, WTG)
MagicISO, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink "seem" to work now, haven't tested them yet but they installed.
Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio installed as well but I haven't tried it yet either.
FAH GPU and FAH SMP still do not work.
RealVNC Viewer works, haven't tried Server.
Speedfan works.
Microsoft Image Resizer does not work.
I'll check back with other things I discover wont work.

dvd decrypter will work fine if you run as admin or turn off uac, vnc server works as long as its 64bit version (wont let you install any other version anyway).

As to flash and java they arent MS products so you cant give em **** for that ;)

I've just installed XP x64 and thought I would share what I've discovered so far.
Bluetooth works.
Microsoft Fingerprint Reader does not. No 64-bit driver, and none on the horizon. (Way to go, Micro$haft)

And this doesn't work with 32-bit drivers?

All my hard-ware runs perfectly fine with 32-bit drivers instead of the 64-bit. It SHOULD work, but I don't have the XP version of the 64-bit OS.

Flash and Java does not work on a 64-bit browser. Gotta use the 32-bit version of IE or FF.

This is not a Microsoft issue. Adobe is not going to be updating their Flash app till version 11 according to the grapevine. Version 10 is still 32-bit. Again, it will just work as 32-bit and work well.

My ATI Theater 550 Pro capture card works now, but only with older drivers.

No experience with this as I use Hauppauge products.

A capture software called Snappysoft I use works, as well as a DVR software called LuxRiot. Seems like all my games work too.
Windows Update still does not work on a 64-bit browser. (Again, WTG)

It works under 32-bit correct?

MagicISO, DVD Decrypter and DVD Shrink "seem" to work now, haven't tested them yet but they installed.

Roxio MyDVD 9 Studio installed as well but I haven't tried it yet either.

FAH GPU and FAH SMP still do not work.

FAH GPU running fine here under Vista-64. Nero works fine so I assume that Roxio willa lso work, but I could be wrong.

RealVNC Viewer works, haven't tried Server.

Speedfan works.

Microsoft Image Resizer does not work.

I'll check back with other things I discover wont work.

YMMV, but I am assuming it is an XP-64 bit issue you are experiencing.

I have 0 issues with compatability or performance under Vista-64 and seeing as all non 64-bit apps and drivers run like butter under 32-bit, I presume the same goes for XP.

I added my comments to let people know that the issues you are having are not replicated in their entirety under Vista x64.

Sazar,
Fingerprint reader doesn't work with 32-bit drivers, which is all Microsoft offers for the device.
Flash and Java installed on the 32-bit version of IE, but not Shockwave.
Yeah, I like Happauge cap cards too, bit on this card for the price, and for the fact it is the only PCIe 1x device I have lol.
Windows Update works from the Start menu, which opens the 32-bit IE. But if you have 64-bit IE open and click Tools>Windows Update you get a message saying a 32-bit IE window needs to open.
FAH GPU could be a setup issue for me, but I doubt it since I've installed it before several times without issue.
And yeah, that's why I said "XP x64" at the beginning of my earlier post, to try to stave off some confusion. Guess I should have stuck all this in my own thread or something.

But to continue, Paint.net, WYSIWYG 5, 7-Zip, Azureus Vuze, Easy GIF Animator, eVGA Precision, Google Earth, Audacity, Daemon Tools, Trillian and my HP 4350 wireless network printer drivers all work. :) I think I'll leave it alone for now.. :laugh:
EDIT: I got the FAH GPU Console running! :smoker: That should make a few more points for team 35216!

Last edited:
shockwave is old outdated and discontinued, after adobe bought macromedia they started to push flash only

Members online

No members online now.

Latest forum posts

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
junebutlertd
Back