Unmountable boot volume BSOD code ED

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Mainframeguy, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Mainframeguy

Mainframeguy Debiant by way of Ubuntu Folding Team

You guys will not BELIEVE this - but additional to my flakey Athlon 1900 with BSOD's (maybe heat) and my AGP gone West on my main rig (still have to rip that apart and look for a short) I now have my Duron failing totally with the above BSOD on boot!

I just slapped in a CD and went to the ASR and entered a CHKDSK /R - is there anything more I can do? (APART from chuck the cruddy old machine in the bin and order some AMD64 kit!!) :rolleyes: I seem all out of luck lately! :rolleyes:

2. Mainframeguy

Well - CHKDSK just finished - found and fixed one problem - machine went on to perform a normal boot.

Question now is - should I be concerned for this machine - esp. for the health of the 20 GB HD in there? Have to say this machine has done some VERY weird things since I laste reformatted - including a repeated activation and several strange disappearing logon/users incidents 0 it also regularly spits out the message that a Windows registry file has been corrupted and had to be replaces by a reloaded copy.

Any comments welcome (pref. serious ones!)

3. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

what about a repair install with an intergrated service pack 2 cd ??

4. Mainframeguy

but that was done like about two or three weeks back! Not going to redo that unless I have to, and also the registry copy messages came right during and right after that reformat/install! So not sure what that would do for me,... mist try the old sfc scannow though...

5. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

could be a bad ide cable causing the errors ? you got any left over cables to try ?

6. Xie

Xie - geek - Subscribed User Folding Team

One thing I would make sure I had a backup. :)

7. Mainframeguy

oh yeah - I got that! When I bought my one touch Maxtor 300 GB I had no idea I would ever use it this much!!! I THOUGHT it was just for once in a blue moon emergencies.... now I am thinking murphy's law comes with the external drives - and everything fails as soon as you back it up! Anyway - yeah I got one - but this is the lil bitty 20GB machine that no one too much cares about.....

8. Mainframeguy

not right now - maybe when I chuck this machine (ehoh - catch 22!) - seriously though - reasonable idea, but unlikely (then again maybe it is time to make like sherlock holmes here...) NE way I could only make one by going into another machine - so actually no, no spares.

Plus how could that make sense if my chckdsk /r resulted in a boot OK?

/me goes to run that sfc /scannow as it happens....

9. Xie

Well you wouldn't even really need to steal from another machine if you have something on IDE2 (ie. cd-rom) just swap the cables. :)

10. Maveric169

Maveric169 The Voices Talk to Me

Well if you have a bad IDE cable, the data being read and written could become corrupted and could be causing all your problems. Has happened to me before.

11. Xie

Yeah a bad IDE cable can do all sorts of odd things. I had one once I would get all sorts of errors and BSOD. Changed cable and all good. :p

12. GoNz0

GoNz0 NTFS Stoner

makes me laff, you ask for help then ask why? you ask for idea's, try them.

thats why you asked isnt it ?

13. Mainframeguy

OK - I will try it next up - first I am swapping a CPU heatsink on the Athlon so that there is one machine up and running - then I will go into the Duron and swap the IDE cable primary - secondary.

I guess I was a little reluctant because it's a low profile machine and I just know it is going to be horribly fiddly to get at the sockets and do this....

But you're right - I need to follow through on suggestions - I apologize

14. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Had a few machines do this recently, a bit of a pain, but I don't have time to do anything about it so I backed up any data on to another hard drive and formatted it.
    Ran chkdsk no problems with the disk, so sent it back out again.