Unlocking Hyper-Threading

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by champ2005, Aug 15, 2004.

1. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

I've got a Northwood Pentium 4 2.4ghz 533FSB. In AIDA32/Everest it shows I have two CPUs, and the second one is disabled. In Pcmark04 it shows that HyperThreading is available but disabled. Is there any way to soft-mod the CPU to enable HT?

2. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

You tried updating your bios? Also check around your bios, it's an option in there, if not look for an update :rolleyes:

3. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

my bios has Hyper-Threading Enabled (as an option). I think that Intel put HT on all Northwood B core cpus, but only enabled it on the 3.06ghz model, but im trying to find a way to make it work on my one.

4. desie

desie OSNN Senior Addict

Hum if it's enabled in the bios I don't see how it is gona happen unless you try updating bios or buying a newer P4 CPU.

5. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon The One and Only

are you sure that processor actually supports HT? i thought it was strictly the 3.06 with the 533 bus, and the 800 bus ones.

6. ThePatriot

ThePatriot -=[BOHICA!]=- Political User

I'm pretty sure I loaded *nix on a Compaq/HP server for a customer that was a 2.8 P4 HT back in January. I don't recall seeing HT on any 2.4's I've worked with, but I thought I saw a thread somewhere that was about 2.4 HT's though.

7. ElementalDragon

ya. it's the P4 2.4C 800mhz bus w/ HT. it's what i'm using. but i don't think the 533 bus has HT.

edit: yep, confirmed it. go HERE. Intel P4 1.3-2.8Ghz, 400mhz and 533mhz FSB = no HT. sorry dude. ya want HT, gotta get a new processor. though the 2.4C isn't that expensive anymore, and it's great for OC'ing. mine's running at 3Ghz very stable.

8. champ2005

champ2005 | xs |

i know that it doesnt officially have HT. Why im asking is because it seems to have the foundations laid for it (that why it comes up as 2 cpus in PCmark04 or Everest), even though it is not workable. Sort of like softmodding a x800 pro > x800 xt to get 4 more pipes, because they are there, just not working or enabled.

9. dreamliner77

dreamliner77 The Analog Kid

I believe Intel removes something from the CPU logic or something to disable HT on these chips.

10. pazsion

pazsion OSNN One Post Wonder

I too wwould like to unlock HT on my 2.8 northwood

HT is detected as supported but is not enaabled..

I use setfsb to OC it and notice there is a custom pll you can modify..

I'm sure there is a way to enable HT somewhere in there.. But i dont know what i'm doing with it.. So i'm not gonna try =D

I've tried d/ling custom pll's in the past and that only fawked things up...:mad:

11. Admiral Michael

Admiral Michael Michaelsoft Systems CEO Folding Team

Holy Thread Resurrection, you do know this thread is over 4 years old.

12. ElementalDragon

Yeah..... i was thinkin the same thing. it's just weird when you see a subscribed thread pop up that you don't remember posting in. That's when you KNOW it's an oldie.