Unknow CPU type

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Halsted, Mar 5, 2003.

  1. Halsted

    Halsted Guest


    I've recently upgraded my Athlon XP system to a faster processor. I was using an XP 1700, now I've upgraded to an XP 2100. I'm using an Abit KG7-RAID board. When I boot, the bios will not detect the CPU as a XP2100, instead it gives the Mghz(1.73). It used to indicate the cpu as XP1700, but it won't do that for my XP2100. Also, Windows XP will not indicate the cpu brand either, it too gives just the Mghz and says, "unknown cpu type". I've changed various settings in the bios and I've upgraded it as per Abit, to no avail. The system seems to be running correctly, I'm just baffled as to why it's doing this.

    Thanks for any input,

  2. Qumahlin

    Qumahlin Moderator

    If you upgraded your bios to the newest availible and it's not picking it up I'd have to write it off as a bug in the bios. If the FSB and multiplier is correct, and your displayed speed is correct then thats all to really worry about.

    Out of curiosity does it detect it if you use a program like WCPUid? But all in all i'm willing to say bios bug
  3. jumpy

    jumpy Guest

    I agree with Qumahlin on that one, just go to the abit site and download your latest bios.

    The changelog for the 8S bios:
    The latest bios is CT, Issued Date: 15/11/02.

  4. budking

    budking Guest

    Well be thankful that it gives you the correct speed of the processor...Sometimes processors dyes or threads may become flooded or over run each other, although the procosser will still work you may not be able to read it correctly or at least the way you want to see it...Also trying calling up ABIT tech support and ask them why it may not be working like the other guys suggested...Processors are fun until you burn them out! haha, 4 processors burnt in my day and one XP1800!
  5. Halsted

    Halsted Guest

    Hey guys,

    Thanks for the suggestions...I've done everything you suggested and I'm thinking it's a bug in the bios, too. I got a chuckle about calling Abit, though. When I first got the board I called Abit about a lockup problem. It took me about 30 minutes on hold before I reached anyone, and then when I did get ahold of the right person they couldn't solve my problem...blaming Windows XP. It ended up being a memory voltage problem. It took me about a month to figure that out with my own troubleshooting.