uninstalling windows messenger

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by hans796, Dec 25, 2003.

1. hans796

hans796 Guest

Hi

My name is Hans and I live in sweden.

I wonder abouth a thing,

After upgrading Windows Messenger via MSN.com I can't uninstall it. I unchecked (hide) in Sysof.inf but Messenger doesn't apair in windows components. Any ideas?

I'm running:
    windows xp home edition with sp1 and have applied the urgent hotfixes after sp1.

This isn't a big thing, i'm just curious abouth it.

Thanks in advance.

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Option 1
    Try a web search for "MS Messenger Upgrade remover". You might find something. Also check back here for the next day or two. Someone might have a link already that they will post.

Option 2
    If you have no luck finding a Messenger remover the other option would be to do a repair install on your Windows XP installation. This will take you back to the original messenger.

Set bios to boot from CD instead of HD. Windows will open from the CD and ask if you want to do a repair. SAY NO.

You will then be asked if you want to do an INSTALL. SAY YES.

You will then be offered an option to install or repair. This time SAY YES to repair.

The repair that will be performed will not destroy your data. It just replaces the windows files with the original ones. Now you can decline those upgrades you don't want (like the latest Messenger, net framework, etc). You will have to reload SP1 and all the security patches.

If you're interested, and have a CD burner there is a way to merge the SP1 with the Windows CD content. Do a search on "Slipstreaming Windows" in the forums. With slipstreaming you just have to download SP1 once then. This comes in handy if you have to do a lot of reloads.

3. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Windows Messenger 4 was never visible in Add/Remove programs, typing this however will remove it:

Strange tho, that you can't remove it with SP1 installed.

Anyway, welcome to NTFS

4. Electronic Punk

Electronic Punk Administrator Staff Member Political User Folding Team

Ahh, I see chances are it was never slipstreamed.

Beaten to it ;P

5. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

6. hans796

hans796 Guest

thanks, Electronic Punk "dealers tweak" did the trick