Undo a dual boot

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by tom9042, Dec 12, 2005.

1. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

I installed a new second HD lately and installed ubuntu on it. I used the ubuntu install disk to install a dual boot. Now I want to replace the second HD with my wife's HD, since I need to back it up before I format it. I can't boot at all without both of my own HD's. How can I fix the boot so that I can replace the second HD for a while?

2. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

When you added Ubuntu you added the boot loader from it it more than likley in the boot folder on the windows partition. At least i think. You need to remove the linux boot loader file. I am not experienced enough to give more info than this.

tom9042 likes this.
  3. j79zlr

j79zlr Glaanies script monkey Political User

Boot to the XP CD [assuming XP] and use the recovery console, when you are in the RC, just issue the command "fixmbr"

You can also use a Win98 boot floppy and issue the command fdisk /mbr

http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

4. ejn74

ejn74 Folding Master! Political User Folding Team

You will have to redo the Boot file to get the dual boot back when you are ready.

5. drz01

drz01 Weekend DJ

If you do not want disturb your setup try this approach. Find a cheep usb case and install your wife's drive into this and then you can backup your wifes drive. If you look hard enough you can find a case for $20 and later on you can install a different drive and use this setup as a backup/external drive.

tom9042 likes this.
  6. tom9042

tom9042 OSNN Senior Addict Folding Team

Thanks for all the replies. I used the fixmbr to solve my problem.

The usb drive won't help me this time since I can't boot her computer.