Unattended Office XP installation question

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Glaanieboy, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I am currently building my own slipstreamed Windows XP Pro CD, using this guide on MSFN.org. I have reached the point where you can integrate a silent install of Office XP into the installation of Windows, but I have a problem. It appears you can't silent install and/or slipstream Office XP, you need the Enterprise edition for that and I have the retail version (PRORET.msi). But I am sure there must be some way of doing it? My search on the internet and newsgroups has provided me with no solution or answer so far.

2. tdinc

tdinc █▄█ ▀█▄ █ Political User

3. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

That is only for Windows XP. I am talking about initiating an (silenced) Office XP setup during the Windows XP installation.

4. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Copy the Office XP cd to a folder called office2003 in your $1\Install, and add a line to your RunOnceEx (assuming you're doing it that way) that goes like this:

then put a cmd file called office 2003.cmd in your $1\Install folder that goes like this: (a similar CMD file will work if you're doing your unattended stuff by means of a batch)

If you haven't made a MST file, learn how on the unattended Office section of MSFN.

5. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

To make the unattended.mst file, you must use the setup.exe /a switch, but I can't do that, since you need the Enterprise version of Office XP to use that switch.

6. Petros

Petros Thief IV

I'd offer you mine, but it wouldn't work. What version of Office do you have?

Check out the Microsoft KB article about it. Maybe it might help?

7. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I use Office XP ;) (I already mentioned that, right?), it's the first retail build, since I got it the day it was released. Anyway, the /qx switch (x being any letter described in your post) doesn't work either, it's complaing about it needs the administrative version etc.

8. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

This is the error I get (I added a rough translation underneath the Dutch error text)

Attached Files:

9. Petros

Petros Thief IV

A-HA! I think I may have found it.

Hmm...very nice. This idea is for 2000, but maybe the Office XP ORK might do it as well. Let me know if you try it out.

10. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Nope, still cannot create a MST file :(

Attached Files:

11. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Then it's time to don the ol' eyepatch and parrot. Arr, me hearty.

12. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

I guess... I got a 'eyepatch and parrot' version of Office 2003 running now, but that's English and I have a perfectly good legal version of Office XP Professional Dutch gathering dust. It's not a must to use the administrative version, I'll install it manually afterwards then. Thanks for trying though :)

13. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Ok Glaaniboy, I found what you need. Heh...heh...HEH

AutoIT3

I use this program and forgot all about it. I got enamored with making a true unattended file that this didn't come to mind until I was perusing MSFN. It's really easy to use, and will do all that you want.

Glaanieboy likes this.
  14. Glaanieboy

Glaanieboy Moderator

Oh man, this looks very good! Consider your rep points upped by 1 :D (I know, I never hand out rep points, but since I have seen people giving me rep points, I want to give some back :))

15. Petros

Petros Thief IV

Why, thank you! Now you've put me over the edge...two dots!

16. dheathorn

dheathorn OSNN One Post Wonder

I need to do the same thing: slipstream OfficeXP into my WinXP CD, I have a legal version in english. I see you mention the "AutoIT3" program, but I got no idea how to use this program.. Can anybody help me?