Unable to uncheck "Use only default devices"

CTGTi337 said:
fyi - When I install/update the driver for SB Live, windows always stops and asks me to find a few files manually (i.e. 2gmgsmt.sf2, sfman32.dll, sblfx.dll, devldr32.exe) These files are located at c:\windows\dirver cache\i386\driver.cab, however I need to extract them before updating the driver, the driver update process will not see that these files are in driver.cab for some reason.

Sounds like you are using the patch and not the install file as the installer would have all the files you need.

The full driver package is LiveDrvUni_Pack.

American Zombie said:
Sounds like you are using the patch and not the install file as the installer would have all the files you need.

The full driver package is LiveDrvUni_Pack.

That is the file i've been using (23.3.MBs). I have uninstalled and reinstalled a few times and everytime it always prompts for those files.

CTGTi337

Do you have SP2 installed?
Is the system a Compaq/HP the card came with?
Did this problem start after a driver update or reinstall?

If the answer is yes to atleast two of the questions my next post would be whats below.

It seems you have an OEM system that maybe the card came with (Compaq or HP)?

If so what I would do is uninstall anything creative through “add/remove” and start over with the driver from the “Compaq/HP site” there is an update version 5.12.2.252A at 154.54mb (sp21636).

If you’re trying to use the driver direct from creative on the OEM system the card came with I’m not sure how well that will work or if you would even be able to get the full driver that way. (One system I have is Compaq and I have never been able to use the drivers from creative always had to use Compaq’s version) even creative drivers on windows update was a mess. Just a thought.

This may be the driver you need (I don't know what your system is so you will have to check)?

Compaq

>>Do you have SP2 installed?
Yes, I do

>>Is the system a Compaq/HP the card came with?
No, I have a ASUS P4C800 Deluxe Motherboard with integrated SoundMax (disabled in bios), with SB Live! instead. I even removed the SB Live card & drivers, enabled soundmax, added the soundmax drivers, and I still had the exact same issue.

>>Did this problem start after a driver update or reinstall?
I'm not sure exactly when this started, it's not something that is very prevelant when working on the computer, so it could have been months ago, and I just never noticed.
Another thing to note is that Flash web sites do not play sound either. Nor do .VOB files.
I also do not have the volume control icon in the taskbar. There are a lot of posts about this topic, but I am still unable to resolve this issue.

I'm not sure why I think this, but it seems like it may be a registry problem. All of the drivers are installing properly (i.e. no conflicts, driver errors, able to play Mp3's) The fact that I can uncheck "Use only default devices", "Apply", but when I close and come back in it is checked off again. Just a guess...

Thanks bush dog and American Zombie for all your help, it is greatly appreciated

CTGTi337

Yes it could be a registry problem. I have stuck on drivers/settings this far because I had similar problems with a creative card a few years back. I don’t remember exactly how I fixed it so I’m still looking for the info I used it’s on my system somewhere.

On the volume control in the task bar sometimes windows looses (sndvol32.exe) then there will be no volume controls or icon in the task bar. Also with this exe missing you will have sound problems so lets see if you have it first.

Look in “c:\windows\system32” for “sndvol32.exe” if its not there then you will have to extract a copy from the windows cd to “c:\windows\system32” and reboot see if you can then get the volume icon in the task bar. If it works check the settings and make sure nothing is set to “mute”.

Yes, sndvol32.exe is in the windows\system32 folder.

I have tried re-extracting from the windows CD as well, but still no luck. fyi - systray.exe is running on startup too. (another common solution to the volume icon not appearing)

I didn’t know about systray.exe, will have to remember that.

I’m about out of ideas so just thinking out loud now but what about
“Audio codecs” maybe some have got corrupt and that’s why some sound types play and some don’t?

You could reinstall them if you haven’t already and see if that helps (I haven’t had to reinstall them so I don’t know too much there) just a thought.

Curious have you scanned for Virus’s?

Still no idea here. My volume icon showed up for about a day, but has mysteriously disappeared again. I messed around with downloading codecs from freecodecs.com: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/XP_Codec_Pack.htm
and I think that is what finally got my volume icon to reappear, but then again it disappeared again.
I also noticed that after I installed Norton Antivirus 2005 on my other computer that the volume Icon also disappeared. I was able to bring it up again by unchecking "Show Volume Icon" --> Apply, then re-checking "show Volume Icon". This isn't the main problem I am trying to fix, but I am wondering if it is possibly related.

Hi all,

I have the same problem here...

Exist any solution???? Or only format?

Thanks,

I ended up reformatting the PC to fix the issue. I tried every thing from reinstalling the drivers to uninstalling the device and rebooting.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back