unable to delete! Please help

F

Flow

Now this is wierd stuff.
I downloaded a .avi file some time ago. Nothing to worry about. Until I decided to clean up my HD a bit. I deleted some files. Still nothing wrong, until I tried and deleted this particular .avi
Every time I merely click on the file, my HD starts spinning like crazy, my system slows down to the point of being completely unusable and the only way to recover from it is a reset. I'm unable to delete the mentioned file no matter what I try! I've tried Norton utilities...I've tried to put it first in quarantaine (sp?) with Norton Antivirus before deleting it (a surefire way I've used before to get rid of more "persistent" files)....nothing gets the job done.
Does anyone know what's wrong here, or what might help??

Thanks

P.s. Right, I forgot. I scanned the whole system for viruses with the latest virusdefinitions....nothing found.

boot up in safe mode and try it there usually works like a charm

:cool:

Wow, now that's a fast reply. Thanks!
Unfortunately, I've tried that and it wouldn't work. I just got an error message. Can't remember what it said though.

hmmmm, well try it again and write done the error message,

:cool:

I remember reading an artical about creating files that are impossible to remove in Windows. Perhaphs you should attempt to get into DOS and try deleting them from there. Boot disk perhaphs, presuming you have installed on FAT rather than NTFS that is

NegativeFactor, I'm afraid it's NTFS...

Iceman, I'll do that first thing this evening.
I don't have my own pc at hand right now, if you know what I mean ;)

Thanks for the help guys!

Hey Flow,

You could try this,

Bring up the task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and end task on explorer under the processes tab. Then Click File>new task and browse to the file and delete it from within the browse window. After that cancel out of the browse window and type explorer in the "Create New Task" window and hit enter.

Hope this helps you

Cheers
Alan

bluegrab.gif

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back