Unable to Add or Remove Program(s)

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Jodiva, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Jodiva

Jodiva OSNN One Post Wonder

Help! I have been having trouble with my Averatec laptop - it hasn't been booting properly ever since I downloaded the trial for Adobe Photoshop by accident (wasn't really paying attention to the update screen).

I couldn't boot the computer for over a week - it just kept turning itself on and off during the boot process, or restarted by itself if it did boot. I removed the fan and lubricated it - one thread suggested that overheating was the problem - and took out half of the RAM - one thread suggested that this was a problem with laptops. Nothing has worked.

Today I managed to boot the computer in safe mode, and then reboot properly. However, the "Add/Remove Programs" option no longer appears on the Control Panel! AAAHHH!!! I can't remove it manually because it denies me access.

If anyone can help, please, I'm about to see how far this thing can skip on the lake!

2. LeeJend

LeeJend Moderator

Fort Worth, TX
    Too late to do a system restore to before the offending download?

If so I found this. I do not have confirmation it works.
    Click here to download (FixAddRemove.reg)
    Run the file to update the registry as follows:

Content of reg file is:
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.htc] "Content Type"="text/x-component"
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.hta] @="htafile" "Content Type"="application/hta"
  3. Jodiva

Jodiva OSNN One Post Wonder

Thanks...I'll give this a try as soon as I can; I've been using the computer at school until I can get this fixed!
  4. fitz

fitz Just Floating Along Staff Member Political User Folding Team

you could also launch the add remove applet manually..

You could also browse the regisry (HKLM/software/microsoft/windows/currentVersion/Uninstall) and find the program you want to uninstall, grab the uninstall string and execute that string from the command line.

Just some other options for your general knowledge expansion :)