Tweaking Shortcut Panel on "Open File..." form

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Landrvr, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Landrvr

Landrvr Guest

Hey all,

I haven't found this tweak on the site yet, but I'm sure it's here. When opening a file in XP/2000 the system presents you with the regular "look in" pane and also just to it's left there is a section of the window that has icons that shortcut to various parts of the computer ('My Computer', 'My Network', 'Desktop', etc...). The ability to shortcut to different directories is great, it's just that the ones MS provides you with I will hardly ever use.

I figured that it would be difficult to describe exactly what I'm trying to convey so in this case "a picture is worth a thousand words" (I know, lame cliché). I've attached a pic. and boxed in on the left (in black) what I'm talking about. If anyone knows how (via registry additions or otherwise) to change these shortcuts to something more useful I would be much obliged.

Thanks to all!

Matt M. :)

2. AmarSingh

AmarSingh Guest

get yourself a copy of xp powertoys and open up tweak UI. Take a look at the screenshot and the rest is self explanatory:)

3. Landrvr

Landrvr Guest

Great!

Thanks much! Funny that you mentioned that. I've had TweakXP and tried that option a long time ago thinking that it was going to alter the shortcuts under Windows Explorer. When it didn't I wrote off the option in my mind all together. Haha, thanks for bringing that back to light for me!

Much appreciated!

-Matt :D