Turning off PC

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by chopper20, Aug 7, 2002.

1. chopper20

chopper20 Guest

I would like to know if it is possible to stop the PC from turning it's self off when you tell it to shut down. I want it to close down but leave the monitor displaying "it is now safe to turn your computer off" Anyone any ideas please

2. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

go into power managment in control pannel and turn of use advanced powermanagment

3. lol, this is the first one when some one wants that thing being displayed. every one else seems to want their computer to be just shut down :)

4. JJB6486

JJB6486 Retired Mod Political User

In the power options control panel, find the APM tab and enable it. If the options are not there, something in your BIOS is not evabled fo power management

JJB

5. Khayman

JJB6486, he doesn't want it on!

6. chopper20

chopper20 Guest

gone into power management, then into advanced but can not see anything similar to turn off advanced power managment

7. Khayman

Hmmmm, it might just say APM.
    Also check your bios for a similar setting

8. Gary Pandher

Gary Pandher Moderator

y would u want it off????

9. chopper20

chopper20 Guest

My son leaves the monitor powered up for days sometimes this is why I do not want it to shut down.

10. ZipTriX

ZipTriX Guest

Go to Device Manager

Then look for Computer.

Click on the + to expand the list and it should list Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Next right click on ACPI and go to properties

Click on the tab labeled Driver and click on Update Driver

Next Install from a specific location and then Don't search, I will choose

Select Standard PC and follow the rest.

Warning: You might have to reinstall all drivers after changing to Standard PC. Also do this at your own risk.

This is the only way I know how to get what you are talking about. Good luck.

11. chopper20

chopper20 Guest

Many thanks ZipTriX I will give it ago

12. Goatman

Goatman Ska Daddy

why does it matter if he leaves the monitor on? if it's a energystar monitor, it won't matter at all

13. its required by law that the monitor shuts off when there no signal detected.
    the power light should go from green to yellow or a powersaving light comes on, whatever unless your using an antique it should do this. it is not using any power other than the little it take to monitor for an incoming signal. when it sees one it turns itself on.

14. what law is that?

15. beatlesdb

beatlesdb Guest

Dudes - if you shut of APM fro mthe Bios - next time u boot into XP - there is a very good chace that it will kill the OS and u will need to re-install XP to get it back!

If the monitor is Energy Star compliant (unless it's really old it wont be) it must switch off if it does not get a video signal - but what chopper20 is trying to do - would by-pass that fail safe as the would be a signal there.

16. Hipster Doofus

Hipster Doofus Good grief Charlie Brown

If you are still trying>

To create a shutdown shortcut on the desktop:
    1. Right click on an open area of the desktop
    2. Select New / Shortcut
    3. Enter in "shutdown -s -t 00" - no quotes
    4. Press the Next button
    5. For the name, enter in anything you like. Click on the Finish button.

When you use this shortcut it will shutdown to the screen you want.

17. the government energy star compliant laws same type of laws as the have for car emissions

18. chopper20

chopper20 Guest

ZipTrix everything was just as you said it would be including the reloading of the drivers. I now have the shut down screen many thanks