Turn off sharing permanently

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by bill g, Feb 10, 2003.

1. bill g

bill g Guest

Anybody know how to do this? I can turn it off under the drive properties but it starts again on reboot.
    Thanks,
    bill g

2. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

Are you talking about the admin (C$, D$) shares?

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q288164&ID=KB;EN-US;Q288164

To Stop all sharing remove file and printer sharing or disable the server service.

3. bill g

bill g Guest

Enyo,
    Thanks for reply.
    Yes I'm talking about the C$ share, and D$, E$ and H$ too. (Haven't looked at those to see if they are set the same.)
    I'm on a LAN but it's my computer, so I have admin rights. The issue is, there is nothing on my machine anyone needs access to, although if the sharing has something to do with functioning on a LAN then I guess I'll have to leave it, but I don't recall my Win98 box being set up like that and it functioned fine on the same LAN.
    Thanks for reg hack too.
    bill g

4. Enyo

Enyo Moderator

You dont need file and printer sharing installed if you are not allowing access to your drivers or printers so u can remove it.

Use the reg hack to remove the $ shares, they are just shares set for admin purposes and are only accessable by a member of the admin group.