"Turn off computer" doesn't turn off computer.

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Gammon, Jun 18, 2004.

1. Gammon

Gammon OSNN One Post Wonder

My System:

2 x 512MB Non-ECC Unbuffered PC3200 Kindston DDR SDRAM
    AMD Athlon XP "Barton" 3200+ CPU (Not OCed)
    BFG GeForceFX 5700 Ultra Video Card
    Abit AN7 Motherboard
    Logitech MX Duo Wireless Keyboard/Mouse Combo
    Samsung Ultra ATA133 160GB Hard Drive
    Lite-On 16x DVD-ROM Drive
    Lite-On 52x32x52 CD-RW Drive
    Enlight 420Watt Power Supply
    Sony Floppy Drive
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Whenever I click the button to turn off my computer it shuts down the OS and essentially stops everything, but I have to manually kill the machine. I've read somewhere that some new motherboards operate this way where they do not fully shutdown from hitting the button in Windows.

When I kill the system with the power button everything goes smoothly; when I start it up again it all works properly. So there are no real problems, except that it is inconvenient at times and I would prefer to be able to fully shut down the system without having to manually press anything.

Could this just be the way my motherboard operates? I played with the motherboard settings for a while and read through the manual, but there doesn't seem to be anything that would effect this. I'm not quite sure why a motherboard wouldn't at least have an option for it. I just built another system not too long ago with an Abit KR7A and it shuts down fully from Windows.

Also, it seems weird that when I push the power button to power off the system after Windows has shut down, pushing once does nothing. I have to hold it in for 4 seconds even though I have the motherboard set to power off immediately on pushing the button, not the "Delay 4 Sec." option. And when I push the button while Windows is running, it acts as if I clicked "turn off computer" from the start menu. And I have to push it again once Windows shuts down.

Any ideas?

2. onimkron

onimkron OSNN Senior Addict

I have a similar issue too, although it occurs on an Athlon 500mhz cpu, with an older VIA board. I'm not exactly sure how to ratify it, although there's this page with some info:

I haven't even been able to go through the whole list. Odd though that it only started to occur when I re-installed Windows XP.
  3. dick471

dick471 OSNN Junior Addict

There are three things you should check. In Control Panel>Power Options>Advanced Tab make sure that Advanced Power Management is enabled. Now this tab won't exist if the system was loaded ACPI and not Standard PC. If not there don't worry. Second, in the Registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon change the value PowerdownAfterShutdown to 1. And third, in the registry under HKCU\Software\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion create a new key called "Shutdown" and then under this new key create a REG_DWORD called "ShutdownSetting" and give a data value of 3.
    Gammon likes this.
  4. toretto

toretto Mentally Absent

Mankato, Minnesota, USA
    i had a system do that, i reinstalled xp and that problem went away
    Gammon likes this.