Turn my desktop into a server type thing

you would signify the right ip in your router, because when you go to use ftp on what ever port you choose the router will then send you to the right ip on the lan

external ip -> router -> lan ip

you would signify the right ip in your router, because when you go to use ftp on what ever port you choose the router will then send you to the right ip on the lan

external ip -> router -> lan ip
aha!
thanks, i think i get it now. sorta :p

Thanks again for your help, now I gotta get up early tmw, so see ya!

Or you could connect either internally or externally using your Hamachi IP - no port forwarding needed either :)

You can also set up a virtual domain from DynDNS ...

You can also set up a virtual domain from DynDNS ...
Ok. Im still lost.
I've set up my desktop as the server, only Im confused on how to make the server have the right ip. when it sets up. it says connect to server, with the ip of: 127.0.0.1 I don't know where it gets that ip. So what does the ip need to be?

My external ip, my router ip. what!? :p and i believe my computer has the 8th spot on my router, so its .8

Thanks,
Jack

see if your belkin router supports dyndns domains. My router does and when someone types that in they get to my router and my router is forwarded to the HFS file server at my domain. it works great and makes life easier with the router handling the dyndns domain.

Ok. Im still lost.
I've set up my desktop as the server, only Im confused on how to make the server have the right ip. when it sets up. it says connect to server, with the ip of: 127.0.0.1 I don't know where it gets that ip. So what does the ip need to be?

My external ip, my router ip. what!? :p and i believe my computer has the 8th spot on my router, so its .8

Thanks,
Jack

DynDNS is ip forwarding software. With it you don't need to worry about router ip addresses. You just go to the dyndns site, pick a free domain name. Download the program and install it. Then when it it is running you give the domain name you chose while signing up for it. That will in turn redirect all things to your personal server :)

More info can be found here: http://www.dyndns.com/services/

I hope this helps ..

OK, so I found my solution, I have Hamachi to transfer files. And I have set up remote desktop so I can now control my desktop.

Thanks for all your help.!

Transferring files is a pain over RDP though, you need to map drives and it's slow as balls. Just my .02

Much better off with FTP, but I suppose it depends on the size and quantity of the files you are transferring.

note: it's been awhile since I've done it, so file transfer may be improved since.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back