troubled...

mike09

OSNN Senior Addict
i dont know which thread to post this in becasue it covers graphics cards, motherboards and psu's.

now lets begin, first the good news, i got my 9500 pro today :) now the bad news. i think my psu is too weak(250watts) because when i turn on my computer the picture would flicker from normal picture to the screen saying "no video", this will happen about every 5 - 6 seconds. so i called Dell to see what i can do and she told me that my motherboard (intel billings d845bg) cant support a psu more then 250 watts. so this leaves me to either sell the card and settle with my gf2 mx400 (not) or get a new motherboard/psu. ok i need to now find a motherboard (from asus) that can support a p4 2.0 northwood with 400 bus and ddr sdram. and can someone please find me a decent power supply between 300-325 or maybe 350 watts for a good price. many thanks in advance.

i was looking at motherboards and found a

P4XP-X
- or -
P4B266-C

any thoughts?

Not to insult your intelligence or anything, I just don't know how familiar you are with Radeons, but did you notice the power connector at the back of your Radeon (like a floppy disk power connector) and plug it in?

The lady working for Dell may have misguided you...if you have an ATX power supply, it shouldn't matter what wattage you get.

If that's the case then, your intuition on the porblem being the power supply was probably right. I recommend a Raidmax (cheap and good) or if you've got the money, an Antec or an Enermax. Cheap power supplies will shorten your computer's life.

Have you tried unplugging other components (cd, extra hard drives, case fans) to test this theory out?

ok i have the card in my case right now. now the picture right now has vertical bars that scale the entire length of the screen. there are 4 of them and they have only enough space for me to see the screen so i can type this post. i installed the knews drivers and dont know what to do now.

Originally posted by HandyBuddy
Not to insult your intelligence or anything, I just don't know how familiar you are with Radeons, but did you notice the power connector at the back of your Radeon (like a floppy disk power connector) and plug it in?

The lady working for Dell may have misguided you...if you have an ATX power supply, it shouldn't matter what wattage you get.

My gf's pc has an mobo and psu from an ibm netvista a40. However, if I change the psu to a bigger one, the PC wont boot - change the psu back to the original 250w, and it boots fine. All I can think is that there is something in the psu that the motherboard links with in order to boot successfully. btw, the other psu works fine in other pcs - just not this one. So perhaps its something the companies are doing to try and get more money out of the customers in the future.

Have you tested a different psu? If not, try borrowing one from somewhere - it might work, but then again, it might not... but it could be worth trying just to see.

ok i got everything to work. but when ever i tap or move the monitor cable that goes in the card my screen gets all flucked up.

sounds like you've either got a dodgy monitor cable (loose connection or wire) or the graphics card isnt fully seated or held in place correctly.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vinit
Back