Transformation to vista

Discussion in 'Windows Desktop Systems' started by Vanquished, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

Hey, im a bit new at changing operating systems... I really never had too since xo has been out... I have just bought a new machine when new software came out...
    By installing vista on my pc will i have to loose everything?
    Or will vista be able to take over the windows instalation and leave my stuff there...

2. NetRyder

NetRyder Tech Junkie Folding Team

Just like almost every version of Windows until now has supported upgrades from the previous version, Vista will support upgrades from XP. The latest CTP is actually the first build that supports this.

3. Vanquished

Vanquished Mr. Bananagrabber Political User

So....
    What your saying is that i will be able to keep all my stuff?

4. Khayman

Khayman I'm sorry Hal... Political User Folding Team

yes

many people will say you should always start with a fresh install when installing an OS. Probably mostly due to the buggy nature of previous upgrades. However i've had upgrades that work fine and i think Vista would probably be very good with ti. Of course always backup any important data first anyway :)

5. Perris Calderon

Perris Calderon Moderator Staff Member Political User

your vista is a beta and time bombed, not likely you can run that for too long, probably 6 months, 3 months, a year, something like that, it probably says how long the beta is good for in the eula...but to your technical question

I have never had a problem with an upgrade

still, I'd backup, partition and dual boot , when vista is running smoote, migrate your info, then delete whatever you want from the dual boot, even the entire partition

you can also save an image of your os untill everything is done to your satisfaction on your vista.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2006
  6. madmatt

madmatt Bow Down to the King Political User

If you can upgrade a Windows 2000 Server to Windows Server 2003 and run it without any problems for nearly a year then it is safe to assume upgrades work out fine. The only thing you want to do is refresh your drivers with the latest version.

7. Dublex

Dublex Quazatron R6 droid

From experience I would reccommend doing a fresh install personally, as you won't get any glitches that sometimes appear when doing an upgrade install (like programs that aren't fully compatible until updates or some registry keys not being understood).

Having said this it should be stable whatever you decide to upgrade or install fresh.